Pacific Crest 2023 “Goddess”

33 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

@spacewill Have you talked to your son yet? He's gotta be on cloud nine after last night!

Ha, I let the wife stalk him and text with him.  I will send him texts and give some insight but tend to not talk to him until we talk in person.  Knowing my son I will say he's happy but he knows this is a long season and they have to keep working and improving.  I've somewhat instilled some skepticism in him to make sure he knows to celebrate today but always keep preparing for tomorrow!  I was proud after seeing the corp when they tied The Academy at the Rose Bowl and they were all happy but everyone kept saying BK is next and then to Troopers (lofty goals for them!!!!).

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, spacewill said:

Ha, I let the wife stalk him and text with him.  I will send him texts and give some insight but tend to not talk to him until we talk in person.  Knowing my son I will say he's happy but he knows this is a long season and they have to keep working and improving.  I've somewhat instilled some skepticism in him to make sure he knows to celebrate today but always keep preparing for tomorrow!  I was proud after seeing the corp when they tied The Academy at the Rose Bowl and they were all happy but everyone kept saying BK is next and then to Troopers (lofty goals for them!!!!).

That is awesome!

I am rooting so hard for PC to make finals. 

What that would do for their auditions and recruiting moving forward. 

I am definitely on the PC train!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

That is awesome!

So awesome!  The fact they are even in the conversation right now is huge!  I have to admit when the kids told me they are going after the Troopers I was the skeptical one and didn't think it would happen.  I hope they prove me wrong and shut me up!

Edited by spacewill
  • Like 1

To the member's credit, they are excited and happy for the recognition but keep using phrases like "there is a lot more work to do" and "we are ready to push to the end". That's also a testament to the guidance from the staff as well. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, spacewill said:

So awesome!  The fact they are even in the conversation right now is huge!  I have to admit when the kids told me they are going after the Troopers I was the skeptical one and didn't think it would happen.  I hope they prove me wrong and shut me up!

I do believe Troopers will beat PC tomorrow night. But it's not about the win, it's the spread. 

Madison and Crossmen are well over four points behind Troop at the last head to head. Even if PC is two points behind tomorrow night, that bodes well for them moving forward, and puts them firmly in the 12th spot for now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

I do believe Troopers will beat PC tomorrow night. But it's not about the win, it's the spread. 

Madison and Crossmen are well over four points behind Troop at the last head to head. Even if PC is two points behind tomorrow night, that bodes well for them moving forward, and puts them firmly in the 12th spot for now. 

100% agree.  I think if they finish within 2 pts of Troopers then it validates the scores up to now (i.e. west coast bias) and puts them in the serious discussion/contention for finals.  Still so early though.  Every corp has a potential to make the same type progression / surge in the 2nd half of the season so they have to go into each show assuming they are on the outside looking in!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, spacewill said:

100% agree.  I think if they finish within 2 pts of Troopers then it validates the scores up to now (i.e. west coast bias) and puts them in the serious discussion/contention for finals.  Still so early though.  Every corp has a potential to make the same type progression / surge in the 2nd half of the season so they have to go into each show assuming they are on the outside looking in!!!!

Absolutely! Could not agree more. 

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

That is awesome!

I'm rooting for them too!

It's time for SoCal to have a finalist corps come to Indy again. There's soooo much talent in the area, and it needs to stay home and build a champion!

• Like 2

Watched Everglow for the first time in awhile today.  Dang.  Still an absolute BANGER of a show and I think will be hard to dismount as my favorite non finalist show ever.  Southwind 2000 is a somewhat close second.    

So many just phenomenal musical moments.  Chinatown.  Insight.  Ice Dance.  Etc.  All so good.  Such a simply designed and perfectly executed show.  HELL YEAH THATS WHAT COLORS SOUND LIKE.  

Love seeing the essence of that show in what PR is doing this year with Steven Estudillo on board, that show is definitely a descendent of PC 2019.  

And warms my heart to see PC making another push this year.  Show is maybe not as hard hitting as Everglow was for me but it’s a very maturely performed and put together show and hope it keeps surging.  Love when a new corps is in the fight for finals, was amazing with Mandarins in 2017-2018, Academy in 2016, etc.  Seeing history being made is exciting.  

• Like 1

It seems that the leadership at PC has assembled a great team to push PC to the next level.  I’m one that watches the staff changes every year and I try to analyze the effect that the changes will have on show design and ultimately placement.  The changes on the design team have made a world of difference IMO.

This year’s show is vastly different than what was provided for the members last year in every aspect.  The choice of music, the brass arrangement, percussion arrangement, and drill design are superior to what the members had to work with last year, and I imagine the members are really buying into the show.  Kudos to the new design team and educational staff for providing a show that PC members and supporters are proud of.

I’m especially fond of the Pacific Crest wave in the drill design - hopefully they keep it in future shows to provide some identity to the corps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1