Let's Talk About the Blue Devils...

1 minute ago, Ashontheinternet said:

unfortunately, i cant say ive seen many if any oscar winning films in the past 15 years. im not much a movie person. but i am interested in your point

I compared BD to genius American playwrights who aren't commercial successes, but Oscar winning movies are not often commercial successes either. Sure there is genius in their creation and those who love the artform will praise them, but they do not appeal to the masses. An Oscar winning film is not going to expand the movie industry, Top Gun and Barbie are. The same can be said for BD. 

I think we can also compare DCI to where Broadway musicals were in the 80's and early 90's. There was so much concentration on where the artform can go, nobody thought to consider the audience. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I understand not wanting to cater to the dinosaur as the activity does evolve, but we shouldn't let it evolve past where people are invited in. Let me ask you this. How many of the best picture Oscar winning movies have you seen in the past 15 years? 

All of them

• Like 1

Just now, GraysonHarris said:

All of them

You are the exception, not the rule. 

1 hour ago, GraysonHarris said:

You want them to stop playing jazz? Are you nuts? That is literally their legacy and style of music they have always been associated with. 

That's like asking Phantom to have a show with no classical music. 

Sheesh!

I love both the Blue Devils and Phantom (most years) but I would NOT like it if they traded genres.  They are good at what they are good at.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Ironically, I think it was the Blue Devils who changed their ways and came back to playing more entertaining shows more often from 2014 on.  A lot of people just couldn't get into shows like 2010 and 2012, but that doesn't make them hateful.

it is perfectly acceptable to not be able to get into shows, especially winning/top 3 shows. i myself have a hard time getting into bostons show this year, but i still recognize they are talented and deserve their high placements. it is when people start saying things like "formula" or "playing to sheets" when i start to question if they really care about the activity and the members, or if they are just stuck in the past and unwilling to give the new stuff an honest try. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ashontheinternet said:

it is perfectly acceptable to not be able to get into shows, especially winning/top 3 shows. i myself have a hard time getting into bostons show this year, but i still recognize they are talented and deserve their high placements. it is when people start saying things like "formula" or "playing to sheets" when i start to question if they really care about the activity and the members, or if they are just stuck in the past and unwilling to give the new stuff an honest try. 

But what if we are not getting into winning shows EVERY YEAR? Especially when I can point to 2015 and 2019 where I honestly think the wrong corps won. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

But what if we are not getting into winning shows EVERY YEAR? Especially when I can point to 2015 and 2019 where I honestly think the wrong corps won. 

Not everyone is going to like the same kinds of music, so if a corps that you don't get into wins most years, I can see where that would be a bit of a bummer. 

But look on the bright side.  You can watch every corps you DO like and then beat the traffic home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GraysonHarris said:

You are the exception, not the rule.

Not so much. Or BD hate would not be a topic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Not so much. Or BD hate would not be a topic. 

Ok. You are the ringleader. Or the poster boy. Or better yet, the bartender who scoffs at someone who orders a Manhattan or Old Fashioned because they are being too "predictable", and you would be more impressed if they ordered a Vieux Carre or Aviation instead 🙂 

• Haha 2