DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS SEMIFINALS

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you keep wanting however to refer back to your time....which i think means the system in place at that time. the judging system as well as the activity has evolved from then. like it or not, field sheets don't rule the day like they used to.

So I'm not wrong in saying that championships are won in the fall and winter, not the summer anymore

5 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Not wrong, no. This very point has been argued extensively elsewhere on these boards.

That actually makes me feel better. That I'm not in left field like some people make me out to be.

3 hours ago, ContraFart said:

It doesn't matter, I have lost all faith in the concept of competition in this activity. I just have to accept the fact that BD is going to win and my favorite shows are going to lose and any knowledge I have after 30 years means nothing because I have no I idea what I am talking about. 

Yes that's correct. Now stop #####ing about it on this forum, no one feels sorry for you and you have added absolutely nothing new to your repetitive complaints. 

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

Yes that's correct. Now stop #####ing about it on this forum, no one feels sorry for you and you have added absolutely nothing new to your repetitive complaints. 

I will say what I please. I'm not breaking TOS and sometimes it leads to good conversations and I even made a few friends this summer. If you don't like it, don't engage, but keep your contempt to yourself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ContraFart said:

I will say what I please. I'm not breaking TOS and sometimes it leads to good conversations and I even made a few friends this summer. If you don't like it, don't engage, but keep your contempt to yourself.

I will say what I please goes both ways. Besides you've been unleashing your contempt for Blue Devils all summer, it's sickening to see that kind of #####ing over and over. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Triple Forte said:

I don’t think stagnation would happen because corps and designers are always going  to the want to have the best and most clever ideas and design.

The members of the corps are putting in the most effort by far and that’s where the focus of the scoring should be ;  on the members efforts not the designers 

As a creative purist, that is the stance that I would hope corps and designers would take. However, It all depends upon what is most incentivized within each organization. This is true across all types of organizations. If winning becomes the goal, then creative purity could become the sacrificial lamb. If winning means more merchandise sales, more donations, more ticket sales, more notoriety...then winning trumps innovative show design unless that's what wins. Today, that's what wins.

If high-stepping technique was 50% of the score sheet don’t you think corps that want to win would shift their philosophy? I know that's outlandish, but I think you get my point. 

I agree that on the field performance should carry the most weight. I believe every corps should place preparing these kids for success and teaching them to create and innovate above every other goal. But I'm not in those rooms and I don't know what motivates every individual. My experience tells me that when you mix creativity and competition, it tends to lose some of its purity. 

Edited by MarkHornGA
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

I will say what I please goes both ways. Besides you've been unleashing your contempt for Blue Devils all summer, it's sickening to see that kind of #####ing over and over. 

If you see it as contempt, then that is a you problem. I don't have contempt for the organization or the marching members and I don't believe that you find a post of mine that shows that contempt. 

If anything my issue has been with judging and a system that resulted in one corps winning 60% of the time. I happen to think a competitive season means less when it's over at Broken Arrow. 

42 minutes ago, MarkHornGA said:

As a creative purist, that is the stance that I would hope corps and designers would take. However, It all depends upon what is most incentivized within each organization. This is true across all types of organizations. If winning becomes the goal, then creative purity could become the sacrificial lamb. If winning means more merchandise sales, more donations, more ticket sales, more notoriety...then winning trumps innovative show design unless that's what wins. Today, that's what wins.

If high-stepping technique was 50% of the score sheet don’t you think corps that want to win would shift their philosophy? I know that's outlandish, but I think you get my point. 

I agree that on the field performance should carry the most weight. I believe every corps should place preparing these kids for success and teaching them to create and innovate above every other goal. But I'm not in those rooms and I don't know what motivates every individual. My experience tells me that when you mix creativity and competition, it tends to lose some of its purity. 

You speak on that very well. I appreciate your insight. I wonder how deep conversations like these happen at Januals, or if DCP is the only place where we philosophize about this.