Bluecoats 2024

4 hours ago, ContraFart said:

The best word I heard about BDs movement was said by Rondo and Lindsay Vento and that is "strategic". Do they move a lot? Yes, and much much more than in previous years, but less than 10% of their movement is in form to form drill. They actually do not even write drill and everything is 100% staged. I guess the days of a 200 dot book are gone.

Some people love that they are shattering the drill paradigm, I for one hate it, and I hate even more that the judging community seems to love it. To me it is such a departure that it's like brass judges giving a group super high scores for playing only woodwind instruments, because that is an outside of the box element. 

Well, I hope you don’t hate me, but I loved it too. And I am as true Bloo as they come. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ContraFart said:

It is well documented that they don't use a drill writer and everything is taught on the field. If you really think about it the only 2 times in the show where there was more traditional drill was in the opener with the moving squares ending in the Maltese cross, and the very end with the Matisse star. Everything else was staging and FTL. 

Have you ever watched Jon Vanderkolff write drill? He does it pretty much the same way.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Have you ever watched Jon Vanderkolff write drill? He does it pretty much the same way.  

Talked to a member. He wrote 10-15 sets a day on Pyware, uploaded to UDB each morning and they learned 90% of the show that way. The only part that was more organic on the field was their ballad .

37 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Talked to a member. He wrote 10-15 sets a day on Pyware, uploaded to UDB each morning and they learned 90% of the show that way. The only part that was more organic on the field was their ballad .

And did this member talk about how the next day Jon would redo a lot of the previous  day’s drill because he thought of something better? 

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And did this member talk about how the next day Jon would redo a lot of the previous  day’s drill because he thought of something better? 

Yes. He would occasionally update overnight in Pyware and load in UDB if something wasn’t working. 

Pyware? That brings back memories of me wanting that to design my own drum corps shows, thinking I was going to be awesome at it and become the Next Big Thing In Drum Corps. Just looked it up and it's upwards of $1000. 😳Why is everything about the marching arts so expensive? 

7 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Pyware? That brings back memories of me wanting that to design my own drum corps shows, thinking I was going to be awesome at it and become the Next Big Thing In Drum Corps. Just looked it up and it's upwards of $1000. 😳Why is everything about the marching arts so expensive? 

It pays for itself very quickly with even one decent gig.

7 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I am not saying there isn't an outline, but they don't use dot books or drill books. 

If you teach choreography for a stage musical, there is usually an outline and written counts, but it's not put on paper like a marching drill. 

Yup, no dot books for BD.  I Can 100% confirm this.  

For 2023 Bluecoats I was completely in love with Bump.  I think that was my favorite music section by any corps to be honest.  I can’t wait to see what Bluecoats have in store for 2024.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Whenever BD is given “good faith” criticism, somehow you are always in the thread. Weird coincidence 

And you are always right there too to give me snark. 

10 hours ago, Metalbinky said:

Yup, no dot books for BD.  I Can 100% confirm this.  

For 2023 Bluecoats I was completely in love with Bump.  I think that was my favorite music section by any corps to be honest.  I can’t wait to see what Bluecoats have in store for 2024.  

Bump, as far as ensemble timing and spatial responsibilities is the hardest thing I have ever seen put on a football field. It was awesome. 

• Like 1