Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

25 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

I want to know where is DCI in all of this? They should stand up to SCV and say. Hold your horses. 

Please. The DCI Board laid down and said "wipe your feet on us, it's ok, we trust you."

6 hours ago, C.Holland said:

this corps has a decade of blunders behind the scenes.  remember that BoD's hire the director.  Not the director hiring the BoD.  So its the same cycle of blunder here, because the same circumstances exist that this corps has operated under just with a new face for the marketing material.  

Its already been stated in this forum in regards to the "Transparency" and "honesty" and yet nothing the corps has posted touches on the predicament which the corps is in.   So until that happens, this is all just fancy marketing work, which I hope the person making these billboards got their check in advance. 

You seem to have "board level" knowledge on their up to the minute status......stating their current "predicament".  Also, if you announce your entire 2024 staff (and I highly doubt that they are working for free), that is a bit beyond "fancy marketing".  (Also, they can't just post names without securing a deal with each person) "A decade of blunders behind the scenes" could be a description of the vast majority of the top 25 corps....how those blunders are handled and put behind is the important part.  If they are in as dire shape as you imply, and do not follow through after this so-called "fancy marketing", that would likely be the end of the corps.  My guess is not only will they be on the field in 2024, but competitive, and especially competitive in percussion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Agreed.  But then the very next thing you posted was:

So you are correct.  You would not do this; neither would I.  But they already have, so how do we know they will not do it again?

If they would do this again.....announce they are on the field competing in 2024....have camps, auditions, etc.....then not field........they would not get a chance to do it a third time........

6 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

While I don’t trust a word VMAPA puts out into the ether I do hope SCV can find a way to return to the competitive field in 2024.

My question has to do with “competitive inertia”. Will Vanguard be held back because of their failure to compete from the previous season or will they pick up from where they left off?

They will definitely be fine in percussion, with the Rennicks and the "UNT connection", they likely will not skip a beat there....how well they do overall will depend on brass/guard recruiting.  However, it's not like their legacy is forgotten after one year off....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

they had a decade of chances.  and they continuously blew it. 

but what's worse, is that many students are owed money.  and even before that debacle there are many students who were monetized to fund what was left before this collapse.  

cmon man.   they made the statement about honesty and transparency, and done much to exemplify these ideas.  

this is the bad ex, that needs rehab, but instead comes to live off of you. 

"Many students are owed money"....are you basing that strictly on those that attended camp last year?  Were those kids not housed, fed, and provided instruction"?   Granted, you could argue that they just decided to go ahead with the camp, knowing they are not coming out.....likely, but not proven.   Now, if a kid paid money toward dues, that is different....though that early, doubtful, and if so, minimal overall.  it would perhaps be arguable that perspective members were deceived and thus auditioned for a corps that wasn't going to happen.....however, in the past, there have been corps that were practicing in May that did not come out, and a few that didn't even finish the season or even "stuck on tour"........far, far worse than what happened here.............

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, craiga said:

So, I don't have a dog in this hunt, but as an outside observer, it would seem to me that the one missing piece might be an official statement coming from DCI.  If I recall,  there were official statements issued by DCI after the decisions on Cadets, Pioneer,  Spirit,  etc.  Perhaps where this all came out today  and it is now the weekend, we might have to wait til Monday for a press release of some kind from DCI.  It would seem that is where we might learn about restrictions, limitations, and so on. I would be surprised if there were not some sort of conditions imposed on SCV in order for them to be approved for tour.

The reason there were DCI "decisions" involving Cadets, Pioneer, Spirit were because the corps were inder probation for things that happened......Cadets and Spirit had to satisfy requirements by DCI in terms of "remedies".  SCV, on the other hand, ran out of $$$, were in debt, and decided not to come out.....not the first time in drum corps that this has happened.......Seattle didn't come out, and they were out for awhile, but came out this year. There have been finalists who have hit the field in a new year with hundreds of thousands in debt from prior seasons....DCI doesn't like that, but if being in the black was a requirement heading into a season, there would be many corps not out there.

6 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

The reason there were DCI "decisions" involving Cadets, Pioneer, Spirit were because the corps were inder probation for things that happened......

The revelation that Vanguard were several years behind on filing their 990s (and then that they hadn't kept up with required filings in California) didn't come out until earlier this year. Not filing 990s was the same offense that caused DCI to suspend Troopers in 2006.  The fact that it didn't come up until after they'd pulled themselves doesn't negate the offense against DCI's requirements for members. Had DCI a clue, they would have noticed this over a year ago and pulled SCV from the tour until they were compliant.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

The revelation that Vanguard were several years behind on filing their 990s didn't come out until earlier this year. That was the same offense that caused DCI to suspend Troopers in 2006.  Them pulling themselves off tour didn't negate the financial and operational malfeasance that came to light later.

Agreed that whatever "no-no's" were commited regarding taxes/filings/etc., they would/will have to get their house in order (and they have had a bit of time to sort through that).....forget DCI; if the govt./law come down on you, that's that......one can only hope that they have been getting their s..t together...........

2 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

Agreed that whatever "no-no's" were commited regarding taxes/filings/etc., they would/will have to get their house in order (and they have had a bit of time to sort through that).....forget DCI; if the govt./law come down on you, that's that......one can only hope that they have been getting their s..t together...........

Hope isn’t enough.   Independent, third party audits and official word from California Department of Justice & IRS is what is needed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Hope isn’t enough.   Independent, third party audits and official word from California Department of Justice & IRS is what is needed. 

Third party audits are not going to happen......who is going to pay for those???  Yes, they will have to answer to any governmental issues they may have.....to the government........everyone in the world can speculate where they stand there, but it is between the Vanguard and the agencies involved............DCI doesn't own or run any drum corps.........it is true that they may ask to review the corps to see if they are considered fiscally ok enough to tour and have done it in the past, but they are not looking to micromanage....if they did, we would be down to well under 10 world class corps.......

Yes, the Vanguard messed up in managing their fiscal house, and things blew up on them in a hurry.  However, I am not interested in seeing them (or ANY corps) thrown under the microscope in that regard.....I want them to survive........

Having hope is never a bad thing, even in the face of adversity.

• Like 2