Madison Scouts Welcome Mark Waymire to Lead Design Team

53 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Certainty you’ve followed the Madison Scouts thread, right?  On that thread the BOD apologists like to say, in an attempt to dismiss the poor placement year after year, that the kids are having fun, and that’s all that matters. That’s what I’m referring to. I thought it would be obvious. No one said it on this thread. My bad. 

That gives a bit more context, so my thanks. As a general rule, I try to take everything into consideration. Generally speaking, lack of proper management trickles down and creates the environment where poor placement almost inevitable. It may take more than one season, but it eventually catches up to the corps. 

I think we can all agree that if you aren't having fun, the experience is not going to be as good as we would all like it to be. That being said, I am certainly not neive enough to believe in some utopian drum corps world where everything is just unicorns and butterflies. It never was when I marched. It's a balance. Now does placement matter? Of course. We all want to win. It's a competitive activity for goodness sakes. The hope though, IMHO, would be that even if you aren't top 3, you can find growth, knowledge, friendship and development in whatever corps you're in.

Thank you again for clarifying. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Wait...concussions? How in the world does a corps have 12 - 24 concussions?

I was wondering the exact same thing. That would seem to me to be something that would be a big, red flag to DCI. That's nearly, what, 3 times (at minimum) the average number of concussions per NFL team in 2022? And concussions are not something that happens due to lack of off season prep.

Just now, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I was wondering the exact same thing. That would seem to me to be something that would be a big, red flag to DCI. That's nearly, what, 3 times (at minimum) the average number of concussions per NFL team in 2022? And concussions are not something that happens due to lack of off season prep.

No … that happens when rifles fall on your head.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Exactly. Or you fall off props. Either way, I'm glad the immediate care is there to help the members recover. Kudos for that. Prevention is what I would be curious about.

3 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Exactly. Or you fall off props. Either way, I'm glad the immediate care is there to help the members recover. Kudos for that. Prevention is what I would be curious about.

I knew that giant cat toy was evil

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I knew that giant cat toy was evil

Never play with laser pointers if the battery is up on props. They WILL chase them. "Oooooo...shinnnnnnyyyyy!!!" **thud**

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, TenHut said:

I honestly can’t even remember how we got that high. On the guard side I think it was mostly people getting hit by rifles/flags right in the head. We had like one ball injury. When we workshopped our final closer, the guard messed up catching girl that dove off of the “GE” ball at the end of the production and she got concussed.

Brass end was just people doing horn snaps/horn moves with incorrect intervals. At least 4 of those concussions were caused by people who were out of shape and were constantly in and out, but sometimes it was really just bad luck. One guy snapped his bass trombone into his own forehead in Missouri and didn’t get back in until Allentown. Unfortunate stuff.

• Sad 4

On 10/6/2023 at 7:46 PM, ContraFart said:

Didnt Boerma arrange 2023?

Yes, and I'm glad to see he's returning yet again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TenHut said:

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

That is a lot of catching rifles in the noggin.  

I am going to go BITD here, but I remember guards working fundamentals for hours, emphasizing hand positions and angles before they started spinning.  And they spun a lot before they started tossing.  So I guess what I’m asking is ‘are they asking the guard to try to do too much too soon?’  

Question for my fellow Dinosaur Lancer - 27 was famous for its rifle line, and  back then rifles were a lot heavier.  Did you guys experience injuries like this?  I can’t imagine the lying on back while spinning worked perfectly the first time they tried it.   

Caveat - We don’t want to get OP in trouble w/ their Corps. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra