A Cost-Cutting Proposal

5 minutes ago, TOC said:

And how long before no one wants to audition there because the corps with these limitations ends up way down in the standings?

Sound like a parade corps. That’ll be… fun.

6 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Sound like a parade corps. That’ll be… fun.

It sounds like the 90s-2010.  Last I checked, those were some hot programs... by today's 'standards'.

My corps, at the turn of the century, had 2 trucks.  Our program wasn't easier... it was just designed to the regulations of the time.

But what's wrong with 'parade corps', if it means being active and relevant while the organization gets stabilized?  What's wrong with 'Brass Theater'?  Being active has many forms, known and unknown.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cfirwin3 said:

One for horns, flags and unis and one for chow.  Gotta have 2... but I contend that a working drumcorps needs no more than 2.  But they have to settle for a traditional program rather than a contemporary one.

Hogwash. It's not the programming that is causing the cost issue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Here is a proposal to cut costs in Drum Corps.  

1.  Establish 4 DCI regional divisions, with Corps assigned as follows:

Pacific - BD, Mandarins, PC, Academy, SCV, Gold, Cascades, and other Corps from CA, WA, OR, AZ

West - Troopers, BK, Crossmen, Genesis, Guardians, Battalion, and other Corps from that area. 

Midwest - Phantom, Cavaliers, Colts, BS, Madison, MC, and other Corps from that area 

East - Bloo, BAC, Crown, SoA, Surf, and other Corps from that area

First 2-3 weeks Corps only compete within division. Each Corps hosts a show.  

Pacific and West meet first time in San Antonio.  Midwest and East meet first time in Atlanta.   Then both tours head to Indy over 2-week period. Indy is where all Corps meet for the first time.  

Second part is limit size of convoy.  3 member busses, 1 staff bus.  2 Semis.  One food truck.  2 vans, one of which pulls souvenir trailer.  This will cut down vehicle rental costs, fuel costs, and insurance costs.  Designers, design what you want but it has to fit In the convoy.   Ten-point penalty for each excess vehicle. 

I realize that this will #### off various constituencies, but something has got to give.  

It’ll #### off spirit and cascades for sure given how far away they are from the rest of the region 

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

Cutting costs and sticking to a budget are both important, but a significant culprit is not having revenue to cover the costs in the first place. In the case of Cadets, the official statement mentioned fund raising as a problem. Whether you call it fundraising, development, advancement, corps need to find long term sustaining ways to fund corps. Hitting up alumni or going hat in hand to businesses is a very limited source of revenue and at a time when non profits are hurting, if you’re a business being hit up for funds, is a flashy and expensive drum corps going to be as worthy a candidate as let’s say the day camp for underserved children? Which looks better? Which can use the funds more effectively? Which serves local people in a local community?

And I’ve heard many donors got tired of bailing the corps out with how many director changes since 18 plus the move.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

One for horns, flags and unis and one for chow.  Gotta have 2... but I contend that a working drumcorps needs no more than 2.  But they have to settle for a traditional program rather than a contemporary one.

If you look at my original post I said two semis & one food truck.  

Designers have no limitations other than everything (sans food) has to fit on 2 semis.  

7 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Hogwash. It's not the programming that is causing the cost issue.

You don't think that they are overspending on materials and resources for their shows?

(Replacing equipment, horns and uniforms too frequently; quadrupled transportation needs; expanding specialized staff; frequent long haul trips to attend competitive shows, etc.)

Running out of cash with the fees that they are charging means that they are over spending on the thing that they are doing... which is the show, and the resources that they put into it.