Gamin Drum Corps Watch Party – Phantom Regiment

My Uncle Bruce and I have had a few drum corps watch parties, sometimes with a theme, sometimes just going with what we feel like at the time. Yesterday, our theme was our favorite Phantom Regiment shows. This was our third watch party focused on a specific corps (Blue Devils and Vanguard were our previous specific corps), and it was a blast.

https://medi-nerd.com/2024/01/28/gamin-drum-corps-watch-party-phantom-regiment/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very similar to my monthly poker games with the corps buddies/budettes. Beer, drum corps videos, re-hashing the same old old drum corps stories for the 10,000th time, some bickering and disagreement. Come to think of it, they're not unlike DCP. 

14 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Very similar to my monthly poker games with the corps buddies/budettes. Beer, drum corps videos, re-hashing the same old old drum corps stories for the 10,000th time, some bickering and disagreement. Come to think of it, they're not unlike DCP. 

Minus sharing a beer is a killer.

Edited by TOC

2 hours ago, TOC said:

Kevin, could you please explain how the crowd in 08 "learned" their que to yell out before Will's demise?  Was the yell only done at finals?  

If I remember correctly, the crowd joining in on the "I Am Spartacus!" yell was pretty organic and grew throughout the year. I watched the DCI West regional online that season and I don't remember it happening at all during that performance because it was early season and we were still discovering the show. As the show improved and captured the crowd's attention, the excitement as the show was coming to a close led to people yelling out during the closer. I do have the Audio Performance Downloads from Quarterfinals that season and you can hear the yells in the crowd there, but it's much softer because there were fewer people there and we didn't have the added excitement of the race for the top spot yet (Phantom finished 3rd at Quarters, 2nd at Semis, and we know what happened at Finals). That Finals performance was FIRE, and combining that with the thrill that Phantom was making a run for the title, similar to their push during Finals week in '96, really lit up the crowd. Remember also that the final Spartacus yell as Koji took out Will was from the corps, so anybody who saw or heard the show before Finals night knew what was coming, Vanguard yell style. It really was a perfect storm to create one of the most fan interactive moments we've seen in drum corps.

There was a Vanguard yell for Force of Nature in 2016 that started sort of organically.  I remember people posting videos of 'do it here or do it there?'  once the spot was decided, it caught on fairly quick.

The other organic thing recently I recall is when Bloo added the Hey Jude tag and it went from a jam to a singalong that lingered in the crowd as they left the field by finals night.  I was at BLL in the theater that year for quarters and there were some of us singing along too.