A Great Article on The Cadets

2 hours ago, BigW said:

I still remember when you and I pointed out that the US Bands Online Rulebook conveniently left the pages out involving competition fees and getting pooh-poohed by people here when we called out the lack of transparency. I'd daggone well hope BD spells all of that out now to everyone.

well they weren't the only circuit. just the one you and i dealt with locally. i have noticed though and more and more circuits only give you that information if you register an account with them, which i can understand to a point. 

1 hour ago, Richard Lesher said:

Was that other Corps the Corps I harp on a lot about. 

I remember getting into the power structure finally and tens of thousands of dollars in donation checks were left in the main office long expired and never deposited. The person in charge of running the office couldn't be bothered to f-ing deposit money handed directly to him. 

I'll even go on record here as late as 2022 Wells Fargo Bank called me personally (having been the treasurer if I haven't mentioned that already as late as 2012). They wanted to talk banking issues (little did I know) regarding the corps, but I had to stop them cold from continuing the conversation. I'm not on the board anymore and they need to update their contacts. 

So I reached out to the CEO of the organization, and then he had the mind to tell me to contact Wells Fargo with the CFO's information. Excuse me? How about you call you're bank, and update your information, and I promise I wont simply just accept their call next time and talk about whatever it is they want to talk about on your behalf. 

even if you called WF back they wouldn't update it without written consent

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I have repeatedly said here that drum corps fail NOT because of props, uniforms,  electronics,  or "dancing and prancing " but because of mismanagement.   Uncashed donation checks???? Seriously?

A friend who used to teach Cadets once told me how they would have somebody at one of their show sites drive through the night with cash from that gate to buy food for the corps which was at another show site.  Crazy?

Also, does anyone here remember the summer when Hop went online to announce they were no longer buying milk for the members because they couldn't afford it?

Yikes. 

oh i don't remember that. i do remember getting a text the day of East from a corps member asking if i could chip in to a parent group getting pizza for the kids after the show cause they had no food before they left for the show site

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, BigW said:

Late 70's/Early 80's Crossmen used to eat "Cookie Salad" for meals at times. Told this by college friends who marched there. They'd go to the Wal-Mart, grab several types of the large boxes of cookies, dump them in a huge bowl, mix it up, everyone got a handful. Stopping at a McDonalds for an out-of-pocket meal was a feast. there's a lot of "Good old days/Glory Days" stories out there. 

yeah but some of these stories are in the last 10 years

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

A friend who used to teach Cadets once told me how they would have somebody at one of their show sites drive through the night with cash from that gate to buy food for the corps which was at another show site.  Crazy?

It was not uncommon for corps to do that as far back as the 1970's, and it usually meant they were not long for this world. 

But before, or shortly after that, there is the step of someone taking a 2nd mortgage on their home and then losing that too.  

It happens.       

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well they weren't the only circuit. just the one you and i dealt with locally. i have noticed though and more and more circuits only give you that information if you register an account with them, which i can understand to a point. 

IIRC the main concern with YEA! was that there were some special deals cut to attract new bands where the fees were substantially discounted and they didn't want the long-term member bands finding out?

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

even if you called WF back they wouldn't update it without written consent

Yes, having worked in banking (to include WF for 20 years) I knew they'd never listen to me calling in to tell them to change the contact information. I didn't even reply back to the CEO, I was floored with the request.......dude......................... I figured they (Wells) would figure it out eventually or close the relationship. 

For the CEO to ask me to do that just shows how oblivious he is to the basic functions of bank services. 

16 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

But before, or shortly after that, there is the step of someone taking a 2nd mortgage on their home and then losing that too.  

It happens.       

Folks have signed their name to Corps debts.

When I took the treasurer position with "my corps" there were loans on the books where other board members prior to me had signed as guarantors for the organization all while bingo was being embezzled from.  

Some of these people berating me were able to keep their houses because of me. 

23 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

It was not uncommon for corps to do that as far back as the 1970's, and it usually meant they were not long for this world. 

It happens.       

the problem for Cadets was tour time is when the band circuit money wasn't rolling in yet. so if they ran out of what they had, it was tight til they got that plus any show sponsor/show host funds came in and the annual DCi payout

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigW said:

IIRC the main concern with YEA! was that there were some special deals cut to attract new bands where the fees were substantially discounted and they didn't want the long-term member bands finding out?

i'm sure there were many reasons