A history of DCI judging and scoring, and the movement away from music emphasis

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

maybe i'm lucky.....i've never had interactions like that. well ok once.....DCA in Scranton. i walked to my seat for finals with 2 beers. guy next to me started to complain loudly about "an obnoxious drunk next to me.". then as 2 of my group showed up, i handed them their beers and shot the guy a look. Needless to say i heard not a peep, even when i eventually had a cold one myself.

but seriously if you let stuff like that affect your ability to enjoy it, you need to find ways to block it out. i'm not trying to be Johnny sunshine....anyone that knows me knows i see way too much stupidity in the world around us. I just find ways to block it out. Plus now when i am at shows, i have an adorable almost 12 year old to explain stuff to!

You can be my bodyguard! I'm really not that bad! 😋

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

A guy next to me drank seven beers in Foxboro in 05.  It was none of my business.  I did do the math on how much it cost to drink seven crappy beers In that place.  He’d ran up quite a tab. 

you wwere in Scranton. if i was an issue with 2, that guy should have looked up 4 rows by the railing at the walkway, especially by the tunnel that led to the Stadium Club.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BigW said:

You can be my bodyguard! I'm really not that bad! 😋

i just ignore people. i think the last time a fan got to me and i said something was some idiot...in a stadium not serving beer, aka JBC heckled teal Sound the year they had the rock band in the pit. Now i wasn't alone, but i knew who he was with ( a local legend in brass world) and stood up and the his friend to shut him up now. and you know the look i give with idiots, and they got it.

he was quiet.

On 3/21/2024 at 10:42 AM, Ashontheinternet said:

i understand what you're saying, but i raise you this;

bluecoats 2022 and 2023. the selections performed might as well have been carbon copies on the field. Bump and ____45_____ especially. those arrangements were so true to the original, and super musical. 

these are outliers though, not the standard, unfortunately. 

You are absolutely right. Thank you for pointing that out. Bump was amazing. The Bluecoats are amazing. They've had my favorite shows in 2019, 2022 and 2023. I just love them. I like modern drum corps for what it is, but I certainly miss the musicality and good drill.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 6:27 PM, Sideways said:

Cadets only won brass in ‘15.  BD won drums.  And they finished 4th because of He who shall not be named insisting on the change to black and Neon.  Absolutely killed visual effect from up top.  

There were also major staging issues with those movable stages.  Couple extended segments of the show they were staged front and center with absolutely nothing going on with them…talk about a focus killer.  

I was talking semifinals, and Cadets did indeed win both brass and percussion........I never discussed visual, but they are the first to ever win brass and percussion at a DCI world championship prelims/finals show and not win....and in fact 4th as well, not even placing.....agreed about some of the visual issues (agree that black was a mistake)....but they had much demand on the fly.....the emphasis, for a long time now, is on the perceived quality of the visual product....

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 7:02 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Apparently a couple of big-name visual gurus. 

I can tell you for certain, that one of them, still around, was almost single-handedly responsible for the push for a singular "GE caption", removing GE Music/GE Visual as separate entities.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BG984 said:

I was talking semifinals, and Cadets did indeed win both brass and percussion........I never discussed visual, but they are the first to ever win brass and percussion at a DCI world championship prelims/finals show and not win....and in fact 4th as well, not even placing.....agreed about some of the visual issues (agree that black was a mistake)....but they had much demand on the fly.....the emphasis, for a long time now, is on the perceived quality of the visual product....

actually effect period. and Rondo called that out 30 years ago

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually effect period. and Rondo called that out 30 years ago

I actually caused a bit of a stir at a judge's conference.  The visual "guru" running things stated, "the judge must discern and determine what is "truly effective"".   My hand went up..."yes"......"truly effective.....to WHOM.....to me as a judge, or to the thousands of paid fans in the stands".  There was silence in the room, and the "guru" changed the subject within seconds.......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BG984 said:

I actually caused a bit of a stir at a judge's conference.  The visual "guru" running things stated, "the judge must discern and determine what is "truly effective"".   My hand went up..."yes"......"truly effective.....to WHOM.....to me as a judge, or to the thousands of paid fans in the stands".  There was silence in the room, and the "guru" changed the subject within seconds.......

I would have responded with a "don't change the subject.  We need an answer to that question."

34 minutes ago, TOC said:

I would have responded with a "don't change the subject.  We need an answer to that question."

That wasn't the only question that went unanswered that week......there were just 3 of us.......2 music, and one visual..........yet we spent around 38 hours with "visual gurus" and just 2 hours with music people..........case closed.....