Star of Indiana 1993

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish they had a different Drum Writer.  Thom Hannum Puts me to sleep.

zzt zzt diga diga zzt zzt Boring.  Drum lines should at least play neat stuff if they are going to play quiet...his stuff sucks!

Horn wize though they Rock!

Bartok and Barber wasn't swingin' jazz or Broadway tunes or rock 'n roll. It was esoteric, unusual, angry, strange music. Thom Hannum wrote his battery book in '93 to fit what the hornline was playing and to fit the mood. I don't recall any moment's in '93 Star's show where it would have been appropriate for the battery to do some funky grooves like Crossmen, Scouts or whoever.

But then think about it like this... there WERE some groovin' parts in that drum book. (I have a tape of just the drumline in rehearsal in Jackson, Ms.) Think about how HARD it is to play the things they played at ppp and move the way they did at the same time.

But then I'm not a real drummer so what do I know about drum music? :ph34r:

Edited by MelloBear

My only wish would have been that the visual program (esp the guard) had been as all-out phenomenal as the musical program.

The visual design WAS phenomonal. Excecution was the problem. If it hadn't been for some bad intervals Star would have beaten the Cadets. It's as simple as that.

I was lucky they practiced in my hometown that year and we where at a few of the same shows down south. It was incredible. By far one of the loudest horn lines I've heard.

There mello I&E ensemble was unreal that year.

I can identify with Renegade Bari, he and I marched in the same corps. We had the opportunity to see Star perform that show in the Red uniforms and the Whites. It was a bit edgier in the red, but it was still great in the white. The music.....it was the total package right from the get go. From Warner Robins, GA all the way through. Could the visual package have been cleaner? Maybe a little, but only if George Zingalli rose from the dead to bring that second championship home. Don't get me wrong, I love CBC '93 also, but I personally would have preferred to see Star win it.

It would have been interesting to see what George Zingali would have written to go with that music. Though what they did have visually was still extraordinary. One thing I can say for sure is that George would have been making changes right up until finals night. He would not have been able to resist tinkering with that one! Tough to clean when you learn over a minute of drill the week of finals! (86')

Both the Cadets and Star where unbelievable that night. Especially considering the weather and field conditions. I think there are parts of me that are still damp from that evening! It was a pick-um at best. Star was going for it and had a few visual ticks, but Cadets were also far from tickless for the same reason. In the end the more 'approachable' show won, barely. It is interesting that there has been threads about that show running in places such as the Usenet since 93'! Who says nobody remembers second place. It was simply THE best show and performance to not win. IMHO.

Michael Chromik

lead mello, Star of Indiana D&B Corps 85'-88'

• 2 months later...