1972 Garfield Cadets

At DCI prelims in 1972, the Cadets received 1.8  in penalties (largest of all corps in prelims), and it moved them from 10th to 13th and out of finals.  Does anyone know what the penalties were for?? 

I believe the penalties were for being overtime. The staff was continually tinkering with the show all summer and left too much in the show. The penalty for overtime is one tenth for every three seconds of overtime.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:14 AM, traverbanking said:

I believe the penalties were for being overtime. The staff was continually tinkering with the show all summer and left too much in the show. The penalty for overtime is one tenth for every three seconds of overtime.

1.8 in penalties for just overtime blows my mind; that would mean that they were almost a full minute over.  There had to be more than just OT...flag violation or something.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 4:25 AM, BG984 said:

At DCI prelims in 1972, the Cadets received 1.8  in penalties (largest of all corps in prelims), and it moved them from 10th to 13th and out of finals.  Does anyone know what the penalties were for?? 

Overtime. Our staff was tweaking the show all the way out to prelims, adding bits of stuff, but not timing the show and taking stuff out as they messed around. Seems ridiculous, but that is what happened.

Edited by MikeD

On 4/26/2024 at 2:36 PM, MikeD said:

Overtime. Our staff was tweaking the show all the way out to prelims, adding bits of stuff, but not timing the show and taking stuff out as they messed around. Seems ridiculous, but that is what happened.

That's awful..........changes are fine, but timing was always critical...............I believe that back in the day there was a corps (not sure if senior or junior) that lost a major title for being ONE SECOND overtime!!

• Thanks 1