Music City 2024: Leave it at the River

Here are the musical selections and description on the show: 

The journey starts with the poignant strains of "Wayfaring Stranger" mixed with "Down by the Riverside," setting a tone of solitude and introspection. The intensity builds through "Fire Water Paper" by Goldenthal and "Buckets of Burden" by CJ Barrow, with music that throbs with the heavy beats of endurance and struggle. The emotional release comes with the reflective "Pyramid Song" by Radiohead and the spiritual "Down to the River to Pray," guiding the audience through a beautiful, cathartic release of burdens into the river. The celebration of newfound freedom and beginnings bursts forth in the final segments with "Liquid Spirit" by Gregory Porter and "Riverside Rebirth" by CJ Barrow, elevating spirits with vibrant rhythms and a jubilant climax.

“I am thrilled about the debut of 'LEAVE IT AT THE RIVER' on the field this season. We believe this show will challenge and enrich our members, offering them not only the chance to showcase their talents but also to grow personally and artistically through the story we're telling together,” said program coordinator, Shane Gwaltney. “It's an opportunity to explore themes of struggle, release, and rejuvenation that resonate with all of us, and I couldn't be more excited to see how it uplifts and inspires everyone involved.”

MUSICAL SELECTIONS & INSPIRATION

The visual narrative captivates the audience from the outset as performers, laden with buckets, navigate the stage, their movements echoing the heaviness of their burdens. This physical portrayal of life’s burdens is vividly illustrated during "Fire Water Paper" and "Buckets of Burden," where the choreography is both precise and expressive. The mood shifts dramatically as performers gracefully empty their burdens into the river during "Pyramid Song" and "Down to the River to Pray," marking a poignant moment of purification and release. The show concludes with an explosion of energy and movement during "Liquid Spirit" and "Riverside Rebirth," where the ensemble celebrates exhilarating freedom from past burdens with exuberant dances and collective joy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jimmyjames said:

Music City shows have improved so much over the years. However, I don't think they will ever be able to top "phantom of the grand ole opry"...

The Casey Jones show was amazing. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jimmyjames said:

Music City shows have improved so much over the years. However, I don't think they will ever be able to top "phantom of the grand ole opry"...

wished I could have seen that one live

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

It was.  The only one I was a little iffy on was the mouse costumes one. 😂 

The cat sound in the middle of the show was something I looked forward to with pure joy though.

• Haha 2