Best Sop Player

Someone above mentioned Dan Halpern from BD. I would add him to the list also.

He gets slammed for the imfamous 89 solo at finals, but people forget (or don't know in the first place)

that he not only nailed that solo all summer, but he did it with some of the best tone quality and smootheness

I've ever heard....and that was not an easy solo!

What's more amazing is that he would then immediately go into the next feature - which was

insanely technical and had a completely different style - and he would do it effortlessly - showing

incredible range and flexability as a player.

Edited by madalumni

mmmmm.....how about that Ira guy from Guardsmen/Scouts who looked like he was in his 30s when he was marching?

That would be Ira Arenson - he could certainly scream with the best of them, but also had great control, never heard him frack a note, even in practice. Ira started losing his hair in his teen's so he always looked older. Great guy, (to this day) but as horn sergeant he sometimes scared the snot out of me! :ph34r:

Edited by vonriedesel

Blowface from either 79 or 80 Bridgemen

Can't remember at the moment which year it is, but the solo from Pagliacci.

That would have been 1979 and the soloist was Ed who marched in the Garfield Cadets before coming to the Bridgemen.

Not sure whom "Big Will" was referring to when he posted the nickname, "Blowface".

Ed from Garfield Cadets was the soloist on Pagliacci, in 79, but I don't remember him puffing his cheeks, when he played.

Now, Jim Brady, the soloist from Pagliacci, in 77 did, however, puff his cheeks when he played the horn.

Is Chez the soloist in Garfield 82 at the very beginning of the show that goes up to the quadruple high whatever the heck the note was...???

The soloist was Tim "Shorty" Bartholomew who went on to work with the brasslines of The Cadets, Star of Indiana and The Crossmen. Al "Skeeter" Newton took the last note to the stratosphere (which he also did the prior year in Elks Parade right before "the front").

Greg "harpo" Blum, marched colts and aged out in 82. Same year that Greg Orwoll joined staff. That's the only one that sticks out in my head at the moment.

Joe Smith

Colts '03

G mello

If you are talking about screamers, I totally agree that Greg Blum ought to get some serious consideration. OH. MY. GOD. What great range and control.

I really liked Chris Metzger from the Scouts, too. Always. He is a very talented and consistent player.

Jeff Kevitt of the Muchachos always got my blood going too. I am sorry that I never got to hear this guy live. Very sorry.

My corps (Hutchinson Sky Ryders) always had several very fine leads and soloists. My favorite year overall for soloists was 1981. The Crossmen had these two sops in Sol Kaplan's Explosion that just tore it up!

I always enjoyed the fireworks of Garfield's (and currently David Letterman's) Al Chez. I can still hear his solo in 1980's Elk's Parade that just brought down the house!

Edited by Periphery

1) Jim Brady-Bridgemen 1977 & 1978. I could think of no one better to christen in the advent of the 2 valve soprano bugle than with Jim’s absolute mastery of a brass instrument. His solo work in 1977 was featured in Pagliacci as the corps’ opener. This thrilling moment was only outdone by Jim, himself the next yearl. Jim’s technique is unmatched by any other horn player in the activity. Stylistically he is a god. He places each note in the exact position like it was meant to live there. His solo work in Harlem Nocturne in 1978 stole the show. If you are looking for the best combination of technical ability, tone production, style and showmanship you can end your search with Jim Brady!

All the love in the world to Spirit's Hunter Moss, but I must agree with you on Jim Brady. He was a killer player (probably still is) and always nailed it.

We rehearsed on a practice field next to the Bridgemen at Whitewater in '77 and he played all-out in practice like he was on the 50 in front of 20,000 people.

Wasn't Jim still playing a PR Soprano in 1977 even though the 2-piston sops were legal for the first time that season?

A friend reminds me that the mind is the second thing to go...

All the love in the world to Spirit's Hunter Moss, but I must agree with you on Jim Brady. He was a killer player (probably still is) and always nailed it.

We rehearsed on a practice field next to the Bridgemen at Whitewater in '77 and he played all-out in practice like he was on the 50 in front of 20,000 people.

Wasn't Jim still playing a PR Soprano in 1977 even though the 2-piston sops were legal for the first time that season?

A friend reminds me that the mind is the second thing to go...

Yes, to the best of my knowledge in 1977 Jim was still playing on a piston/ rotor horn, which makes his ability all the more amazing!!!!!

Yes, to the best of my knowledge in 1977 Jim was still playing on a piston/ rotor horn, which makes his ability all the more amazing!!!!!

Bridgemen were all on piston/rotor horns in 77, until we purchased the new set of Olds gold-lacquered, 2-valves, prior to the 78 season.

Jim WAS an amazing player back then, and still is, today.