• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a picture of that event iin 1983.....notice who is in the background.

scv83.jpg

For some strange reason.....it's not coming up [ sigh ]

I know the Sop player on the far right in the photo. He had been marching with SCV's A corps since 1977 when he was in the seventh grade. If I recall he only marched a year in the SCV cadets.

I listened to 1984 Blue Devils on my home from the marching band I help teach tonight and it got me thinking...the first corps show I saw live was in 1992, but many of my favorites are from the decade earlier. So, if I could go back in time, these are the ten shows I'd most like to see.

1984 Blue Devils

1986 Blue Devils

1988 Blue Devils

1984 Cadets

1987 Cadets

1987 Vanguard

1988 Vanguard

1982 Regiment

1989 Regiment

1988 Scouts

Gotta save up some money for those legacy DVDs!

Michael Oldemeyer

Well, I saw 8 of those... :P

Wise to put 84 BD at the top. La Fiesta .... oy.

If you want to watch the best of the 80's you can't leave out 82 bridgemen and 84 suncoast - by far two of the best shows of the 80's
Or 85 Suncoast 

Or 86 Suncoast! :)

One of my ALL TIME 80's shows was SUNCOAST 89~

• 3 weeks later...
If there had ever been a good time for a tie for 1st it was 1984! I was there, and I still consider it one of the best World Championships I have ever attended!

A belated "thank you!" to the Blue Devils and the Garfield Cadets!

...and SCV...and the Phantom Regiment...and the Madison Scouts...and the Spirit of Atlanta...and Suncoast Sound... and The Freelancers...and...oh, you get the point! :P

Funny thing was, duringour warm up for prelims (when it was raining....anyone remember SCV huddling under a tree?), I asked Todd Swanson, the 83 DM who was on staff in 84, what happened if there was a tie!

Little did I know it would happen to ME 2 years later in the UK...whilst wearing a BD style uni and playing West Side Story!!

Little did I know it would happen to ME 2 years later in the UK...whilst wearing a BD style uni and playing West Side Story!!

Hey Sam...I was right there as you led your fellow platesmasher Charlie Waters to the darkside. How are ya , ya crazy yank?

Mark Hammond

Dagenham Crusaders Snareline 1983 - 1988

If there had ever been a good time for a tie for 1st it was 1984! I was there, and I still consider it one of the best World Championships I have ever attended!

A belated "thank you!" to the Blue Devils and the Garfield Cadets!

...and SCV...and the Phantom Regiment...and the Madison Scouts...and the Spirit of Atlanta...and Suncoast Sound... and The Freelancers...and...oh, you get the point! :P

Funny thing was, duringour warm up for prelims (when it was raining....anyone remember SCV huddling under a tree?), I asked Todd Swanson, the 83 DM who was on staff in 84, what happened if there was a tie!

Hey Sam...I was right there as you led your fellow platesmasher Charlie Waters to the darkside. How are ya , ya crazy yank?

Mark Hammond

Dagenham Crusaders Snareline 1983 - 1988

DUDE! Y'know, the only names from Dag I remember are Charlie and Dexter the DM! How have you been??

Rigtht now I'm watching hte Simi Valley fire from my office window...lotsa smoke, but it's turning white, so it looks like they're getting it under control.

You were at the West Covina show this year? Too bad you didn't try and look me up after SoCal Dream went on...I was still in uniform (I was the DM in case you didn't read my signature line), so I was easy to find.

And I note you live in Pasadena...Dream could use a few more drummer's y'know...

Woo-hoo!!

You were at the West Covina show this year? Too bad you didn't try and look me up after SoCal Dream went on...I was still in uniform (I was the DM in case you didn't read my signature line), so I was easy to find.

And I note you live in Pasadena...Dream could use a few more drummer's y'know...

Eh? Crossed wires I think Sam. Last time I was in California was 14 years ago. I'm in London. (Looks out the window..) Yeah, London, dude.

Due to DCP's software not being able to send me a reminder of a long forgotten password, they have issued me with a temporary password. Maybe that also gives me a false profile or are you just confusing me with somebody else?

Glad you're still doing the corps thing. SoCal Dream looks fun but it's a long way to come for rehearsals. I'll let you know when the teleport pod is fixed.

Take it easy Sam.

Mark

Thankfully, I saw most of the great 80's shows live...but the ones I didn't see that top my list are:

Devils 80/81/82

SCV 81/82

Bridgemen 80/81

Great thread. Kinda nice to see the 85/86 Suncaost shows mentioned. They were a blast to perform.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll chime in here with a few shows I wish I had seen live back in the 80's.

81 Madison Scouts

82 Blue Devils

82 Garfield Cadets

82 Bridgemen

84 The entire top 5

84 Troopers

85 Garfield Cadets

85 Suncoast Sound

85 Star Of Indiana

86 Cavaliers

87 Bluecoats

Pete ReHill