Crossmen 95

gumby5647

It's all about Pearl. I hate Dynasty...sound like poo. Yamahas...eh...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha's aren't shallow anymore. They did away with the shallow cut in favor of the deeper shells (thanks to Cadets). It's too bad they didn't continue both models.

I'd have to disagree.... Dynasty's are a good time B) The rumor is, according to a kid in their snare line '03, they tuned their drums extremely low. As far as the overall snare sound, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As for BD, I think their bassline has a sick sound!

Ya. The only thing Dynasty I like is Basses. mmmmm...sweeeeet!!! I like yamaha snares too...the mts...ya.

another great Mylar head besides the Marathon, was the old Pearl CC, the ones with the gold flesh hoop, pretty much the same as the marathon execpt it didn't have the black ring around the center dot. but the heads took a beating and sounded great.

as far as Dynasty drums being too articulite, that is in their tuning, BD removes some guts from the snares (as do many corps) to keep from being too articulite.

Yamaha's aren't shallow anymore.  They did away with the shallow cut in favor of the deeper shells (thanks to Cadets).  It's too bad they didn't continue both models.

Yamaha still makes both shell depths. Cavaliers use the shallow shells.

Edited by Hulka

We used mylar heads for camps and during everydays to build chops and sound quality. They sounded like God! We tried two types: Remo Powerstoke 77's and Remo Emperor X's (coated with grey dot). the powerstrokes had such a great classic sound that actually sounded like a drum and not a cardboard box with guts. And they felt amazing. Perfect feel. The X's were awesome reefed. They sounded like kevlar with a little more depth. They were great but had a very hard, un-natural feel.

We switched a couple days before tour because of the tuning hassle. I was tuning guy so I had the bulk of this job. They really didn't blow as much as I thought they would but they did blow. We also switched because we were trying to make a recovery from a 16th place finish in '02. We switched to Tenduras. We tuned the tops comfortably low and reefed the bottoms. Anyone pay attention to our sound? Did you like it?

• 2 weeks later...

Good news boys and girls. Word is that Evans has a prototype mylar snare batter that sounds great. If you'll be at PASIC next month in Louisville you'll see Jeff Queen using the prototype head on one of his snare drums.