Crossmen 95

gumby5647

Didn't Pioneer (...was it Pioneer?) once upon a time try a hybrid snare line with half the line playing on mylar, and the other half on kevlar?

...what a horrid idea...

Edited by damnrakuhns

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1990 Crossmen used a Premier head (I can't remember the name) that had the feel of a mylar but a sound between a Tendura and Mylar. It was a gold color and had the texture of a Tendura without the coating (You could actually see the weave of the head. The perfect combination of feel and projection.

When I first joined Dagenham Crusaders in 1983, we had just been given an endorsement deal for an entire new set of drums and pit equipment. All the snares came fitted with a prototype kevlar batter head called "Fiberline". It was a yellow/gold colour with no coating, just a raw woven finish. It felt great to play on with more give than a Falam or Tendura but our 83 line was big and dirty, too dirty for the exposure that Kevlar gives, particularly in the "Tick" era, so we canned them in favour of Mylar.

Sounds like they could be the same head mentioned earlier maybe.

When I first joined Dagenham Crusaders in 1983, we had just been given an endorsement deal for an entire new set of drums and pit equipment.

Should have mentioned it was a Premier endorsement and they were Premier heads, originally prototyped for the pipe band market. Dagenham Crusaders toured the US and went to DCI in 83 and Premier had just launched a new line of marching drums that they wanted to showcase to US corps and bands, ( the same drums that SCV used in 84 but without the SCV snare modifications.)

• 2 weeks later...
actually i think you are talking about the year they marched half Blackmax and half Falam IIs, i pretty sure it was 99

Yeah, that might be it. I thought it was earlier than that, '95 or so. Hmm....*racks brain for a bit

• 2 weeks later...
actually i think you are talking about the year they marched half Blackmax and half Falam IIs, i pretty sure it was 99.

I'll narrow it down even farther and say that it was 1998. You can view a photo from the 1998 show here:

http://www.pioneer-corps.org/media/picture...s/1998/show.jpg

The photo shows the split snare line. You can see the white heads off to the left side of the form near the basses and tenors and the black heads off to the right. All of the heads were kevlar and the two mini-lines were called "Ebony" and "Ivory". Yes, I'm completely serious.

Ryan J

Edited by Irish-Kiltie