Crossmen 95

gumby5647

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the lucky person who's sole responsibility was to maintain these drums on tour, I felt the sound was WELL WORTH the effort. I agree, the drums sounded quite dark, an exceptional compliment to the type of music we played that year. It didn't hurt that the snare line was #### clean with the usual quality of sound produced by Thurston lines! Remeber there were only 6 of them at finals. Talk about a cutting sound!

Glad to see people appreciated it!

When Rob Misener (sp?) was on Glassmen's drum staff, I used to pick him up at the airport. He played me a drumline tape from the last runthrough in '95 for the Crossmen. WOW!!!! Thurston lines were consistently clean, no matter the size of the line.

I'd love to see mylar back but look at the heads the Crossmen used in '95...Premier Marathons which are no longer being made. That was by far the best sounding and durable mylar marching snare batter head ever made so until someone can duplicate it I doubt we'll see mylar again.

The maintence required by the current mylar heads makes for snare techs that don't eat meals because they're constantly changing blown heads or tuning. Just ask the '02 Glassmen snare techs. They started the season with mylar but switched when it became too much to keep the drums sounding good. We started the season in '95 with Remo prototype mylar heads on the red 14" snare drums but swtiched to Falams (tuned low) half-way through the season because the staff could never get the desired sound and the heads blew all the time.

Edited by Hulka

Funny you should say that Remo should buy the rights to the Marathon....

In 1990 Crossmen used a Premier head (I can't remember the name) that had the feel of a mylar but a sound between a Tendura and Mylar. It was a gold color and had the texture of a Tendura without the coating (You could actually see the weave of the head. The perfect combination of feel and projection.

In 1991 when I joined Crossmen, I believe Remo threatened to sue Premier because the head that was used in 1990 was too close to a Remo Patent.

Then we ended up using Tenduras (great sound and feel anyway)

It would be interesting to see if Premier could brush off the past and sell the Marathon rights to Remo.

BTW -Misener is one of my best friends.

I remember those heads Crossmen used in '90 and all this time I just thought they were natural Falams. Learn something new everyday! I can't vouch how those heads felt to the hands but they sounded sweet. It helps to have a bad-arse snare line to go along with that great sound. Now if we could only get the current staff to tune the snares to get a good sound...

:silly:

Edited by Hulka

Hey, what's with BAC's snare sound? Do you like it? What heads do they use? I like it. It's definitely different from everybody else.

BAC has used the Remo Tendura's the past two seasons from my understanding. Personally I don't care for their snare sound at all.

I think he Dynasy Drums are sooo articulate it is hurting BD's drumline.

they are jus too tight I think.

The pearl snares have the Best sound but Gawd I hate pearl drums. The hardware just sucks! All Cheap pot metal and hollow sounding if you click them with a fingernail.

The Best sounding Tenor drums by far are the old Ludwig and Slingerlands.

Dynasty's have the best Deep/Shallow combo sound I think.

Yami's are too shallow and Pearls are too Deep.