Crossmen 95

gumby5647

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive my ignorance guys, but aren't the BlackMax and WhiteMax heads Mylar?  Also, aren't the top of the line Evans heads Mylar?  :rolleyes:

The Max heads are a combination of mylar and kevlar. The Gold Series Evan's heads are all kevlar as far as I can tell.

Actually, there was always an element of mylar in the FalamII's. The Max heads were reformulated to include a higher percentage of mylar in the "sandwich" for a darker, "wetter" sound. It also helps eliminate some of the rigidity of the head, which should lessen hand/wrist/elbow problems. More mylar means more "give" from the head.

Think of when you hit a baseball with a bat. That feeling when you hit it wrong, and the bat vibrates in your hand? The energy of bat hitting ball is trasferred up the bat into your hands. Now, think of hitting a snare drum thousands of times. That same type of energy is transferred into the sticks more due to the rigidity of kevlar, instead of absorbed by mylar, hence carpal tunnel, tendonitis, and other stress-related injuries.

I know my hands feel better after playing on Max heads compared to the same practice sessions on FalamII's.

On a related note, Impulse used a second set of snares with Powerstroke 77's for the first 2/3 of their drum solo in 2002. As an "old school" guy with their senior corps program, I was the "mylar tech", since no one on staff really knew how to tune them!

I'm glad to hear that people are starting to realize you don't have to crank the heck out of the heads. I think a lot of people did it just because they could!

Garry