Haven't marched in 23 years...Left hand sucks

kiltiesdrumguy

I posted this in a thread called chop-o-gram before, so check that out but for starters -

==

Hey drummers - any stuff you swear by for building chops or skills? Here's mine.

Regards

Rick

* practicing on a taped-up old hardcover book. My first drum instructor said "pad? why would you want a pad!? Don't be a siss!"

* using a gyroscope exerciser. I have one called a "dynabee" which is like holding a 40lb weight when it gets going. Good results fast. Relatively quiet and you can take it jogging with you, but people might look at you funny!

Check out - http://cp.digiweb.com/prod03.html

* using a guitarist finger exerciser – it's a little square thing with buttons on springs. You put it in your palm and press the buttons in succession, presumably to practice left hand finger coordination. I used to use it in both hands to develop my finger strength. No noise at all on this one. I've seen them at various music stores, so I imagine it's a pretty common thing.

* endurance laps around the field or down the street with the drums on doing what we called a "roll stroll." Beware of getting "Fonzie thumbs."

* Ken Mazur's book about competitive rudimental drumming. He sells copies sometimes, and that book was my bible when I marched. Sometimes it's listed on -

http://home.att.net/~rbeckham/

or

http://www.rudimentaldrumming.com

* resistance exercises with rubber pulling the sticks either up or down. I had a hook above my head in the basement to which I hooked rubber tubes knotted in a loop. I would put the stick in the loop and press down and hold for a minute etc.

* practice on pillows or an old tom-tom with a loose head stuffed with foam. If you can roll on a feather pillow, you can

roll on anything.

* timing – various syncopated timing exercises.

* levels and speeds – same rams at various levels and speeds.

* left hand lead – for right handers, this forces you to develop left hand strength. Switch for left-handers.

* "if it can be flammed, flam it" Basically, a ram with flammed everything.

* Scottish style exercises – various stuff in the style of pipe band drumming, because those helped a lot with 27th's book.

* tricks – backsticking, flips, drum-to-drum, shell-taps, spirit-of-atlanta-style-3-sticks-in-one-hand etc etc etc

The gyroscope thing works very well to get your muscles back in shape.

To seriously get your left hand not only playing notes, but also looking good while doing it, you should try to find and instructor that marched snare in drum corps that lives around you. I know that is sounds like a dumb idea, but as you said your chops are still good, all you need help with is holding the stick. With all of the little things that goes into the PROPER left hand traditional grip, thats what I would do.

so you want to know how to improve your left hand grip...hmmm...

TOO EASY! Never mind.

:spit::spit::spit::spit::spit::spit:

Nice!!

Why is it only we sopranos find that funny, Sam?

I get it...and yes it does work.

ha ha ha

Three basic exercises repeated ad infinitum will resurrect your chops more quickly than you might imagine:

8 on a hand

Accent Tap

Double Beat / Triple Beat

Bill Bachman has a nice feature on www.vicfirth.com called the 'Get Good Quick Plan' that revolves around these 'magic 3'.

Ah! the Dilema!

I had this same problem coming form marching a summer of bass and then jumping into the role as center snare for my high school drumline this last fall... I consulted my snare teacher/idol/drumming buddy, Mr Pat Fitz-Gibbon, aka "Patty-cakes", and he contemplated for a few seconds and then looked at me and said:

"8's. Put in your favorite movie and watch it and play 8's the whole time... switch to your right hand every once in awhile to give your left hand a break, but keep that left going as much as possible no matter how much it burns."

Well I invited the snares over the next night for a little "Office Space Sectional" and ohhhh man that was the longest that movie has ever been! But it really helped, and I would recommend it!

~~ crazyfish <*)))>< ~~