Popping Flams

Snapettes Mom

This is interesting, and I never thought that I would be telling this story...but:

Jason Parent (DCI Snare Champion '93) was teaching us this exercise to correct flam grace note placement. We thought it was stupid at the time, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense (thanks Jay!)

1st he made us play flam accents with very wide flams, almost a 1/16th ahead of the primary stroke for like 8 counts.

Then he made us try to pop the flams, play the grace note right at the same time as the primary stroke for 8 counts.

Then he made us play our "perfect flam" in the the flam accent for 8 counts...all in succession.

What he was teaching us was how to control the grace note, to be able to put it anywhere we wanted in order to figure out what it was like to be able to play the perfect flam every time. It was only after that I figured out how cool this exercise was. His point was, if we could play all three of those types of flam accents consistently, there was no reason we couldn't play perfectly tight flams all the time.

Try it out...it will help...

CP

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that!

My son is 8 and he can play Cheeses and sort of flammed fives but he can not play paradiddles....????? I don't know why.

it's wierd cuz he can barely play a roll also...He loves flams though.

hmmmm wonder if I'm creating a monster or a kid with bad habits.

I better get him some lessons from someone real good

Sounds like a plan.

That's just rediculus. That's not helping anything. It's just making you hurt so much that you can't play your show.

I actually agree with that. It seems kinda like a waste of time to be doing a 56 minute roll stroll, but I'm not in charge of how they do things. <**>

I have been doing hour long roll strolls around 3 times a week since the beginning of September. It has given me alot of new strength in my arms and back which has incresed my chops while burning through things like Flammus. It's kinda boring but the results are doing wonders.

Mom

go mom!