Popping Flams

Snapettes Mom

Ghost flams - yep, those were fun to try. Makes you aware of the gracenote, and looks really dumb if you can't play flams anyway! You learn how quickly doing exercises with those.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flammaster: Yeah, we did more than a few "roll strolls" when I marched! We used to get what we called "fonzie thumbs" because of the lactic acid buildup - the thumbs just won't stay put anymore. Steve "Goose" Goselin, a guy I marched with in 83 went to devs in 85 and 86 told me an interesting story though - he said Tom Float was interested in hearing the 27th exercises, and said the comment he remembers is that Tom was surprised that we'd just keep going and going, no breaks. Sometimes, I'd be wishing for a break with my forearms so tight I couldn't do anything - that can't be good for ya.

Ohhh man Rick had us doing stuff till we dropped! I never worked with Tom but I did tour in 87& 89 as a cook and always thought his idea of stopping was great and now it is the norm.

Man you Guys had a he!! of a drumline! We always Freaked at the stuff 2-7 played. at least I did! (1st corps I ever heard doing inverted flam drags)

I always wanted to jump ship and join 27th lancers just for a season. (always wanted to play Slingerlands without joining SCV)

Rick had this thing about the pinkie finger being TIGHT and closed up so it looks Tough.

I guess later they stopped doing that because of tendonitis (but it did look cool).

I played "Tympano's" but I Started as a snare...Probably why i quit in y rookie A corps year and never came back.

Darn I could have marched till 84...ooh well.

I'm pretty good on guitar though so..... that's life I guess.

You know...........

.............reading the thread and listening to your "drumspeak", I'm starting to wish I was a drummer. Some cool stuff here guys.

Wow, 56 mins is pretty long. I'd have to agree that it could be damaging. You really need a proper break between the sort of endurance training you get when doing a long roll-stroll, so your muscles can recoup. It does get easier though, and I would say that it that sort of challenge really does build chops, and should be done sometimes. It's the how and the timing that matters, imo.

yea 10 minutes should be Max.

speaking of Pop flams though there was this guy named Mike Hart in BD (86,87) who did these paradiddle mode pop flams at unheard of speeds.

this dude was so fast I still have yet to see anyone beat him. (yea he was faster than Ken Masur).

He never had a real solo worked out though so what Float did in 87 was have him come on first as Exhibition so all the other snares would freak that this guy was just the warm up act for the real BD snares.

The next guy up after him looked like his sticks were made of Lead.

I really wish Chris Robinson would have gone ahead and did his tenor solo that year cuz he really would have won hands down.

Should have seen the look on Cobham's face when Scott Johnson did his Snare solo for him! Billy's Jaw Literally Dropped!!!

Hey Rick,

I'm bummed that I missed meeting you. I didn't know

you'd be at the orientation.

To the topic. Dennis - You and I have spoken numerous

times about this so you know how I feel. For the record,

popped, flat, or anything other than correct

spaced flams are unacceptable. Massive aggreement here...

Carlos (Los Jonz) Almeida

Center Snare Renegades 2003

SCV Alumni Corps Snare 2002

SCV A-corps Snare 81,83

"original jonz" B)

Yeah, Carlos - seriously - it would have been cool to meet you! I did not know whether I'd make it or not, and assumed you'd be there. Next time I go to Concord (still there now through this week) and can make a practice, I will drop you an email.