1977 Bridgemen

i took this all off www.corpsreps.com because i was curious why they got disqualified that year

"On the eve of DCI prelims, Bobby Hoffman told a stunned corps that, "Because we marched [name] and [name], we've been disqualified." While many drum corps would have packed up and gone home at that point, that wasn't the Bridgemen way. No defeat, no surrender, no way was their creed. While most of the corps was still absorbing the shock, a couple of staffers took off in search of a lawyer, who obtained a court order allowing the corps to participate in prelims. Although the corps was allowed to compete, to the astonishment and delight of the crowd and judges alike, their results were withheld pending the outcome of the court order.

Somebody was not going to let this drop, but neither were the Bridgemen. The following day the corps rehearsed and prepared themselves mentally for Finals. Although there was some doubt, no one really believed that they wouldn't be allowed to perform. Late in the afternoon word came in that the Bridgemen had finished fourth in prelims and would be competing in Finals that night, right after Madison. Now it was time for the corps to pull itself together and show Mile High Stadium just what the Bridgemen were made of.

While taking the field that night, boos could be heard from the crowd. After the week they had had, the last thing the Bridgemen needed was to be put down by the people that mattered the most, their fans. That booing was probably the best thing that could have happened to a tired, emotionally drained Bridgemen corps. It galvanized them into a collective resolve that they were going win back their fans and give them a show that they would never forget.

Bayonne pulled out a performance that came from putting every bit of emotion built up during that week into their horns, drums and guard equipment. The corps left the field with the audience on their feet, clapping and shouting their approval; no boos then. The Bridgemen had redeemed themselves in the hearts of their audience.

The corps’ fourth place finish that night was tentative, contingent on the outcome of a consent judgment signed between the corps leadership and DCI a few months later. That agreement voided the Bridgemen’s performance but stipulated that the other corps would not move up in placement. As far as DCI history was concerned, the Bridgemen had been erased from the 1977 Championships. Competitive standing aside, this series of events took a tremendous emotional toll on members. Bu they also got angry and determined to do whatever it took to realize their goal the next year."

thanks www.corpsreps.com for the hookup

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, this was 1977, not 1974.

" As far as DCI history was concerned, the Bridgemen had been erased from the 1977 Championships. " Not true...you can go to DCI and purchase the Legacy Collection and you will find the 1977 Bridgemen included on the DVD. As far as why.....some of the Bridgemen alumni on this board can give you more info but simple put.....over age member.

It is nice that DCI did include that 1977 show as a bonus on the DVD.....too bad they didn't do that for all the 13th place corps in the collection or corps who were DQ.

Edited by Malibu

i took this all off www.corpsreps.com because i was curious why they got disqualified that year

"On the eve of DCI prelims, Bobby Hoffman told a stunned corps that, "Because we marched [name] and [name], we've been disqualified." While many drum corps would have packed up and gone home at that point, that wasn't the Bridgemen way. No defeat, no surrender, no way was their creed. While most of the corps was still absorbing the shock, a couple of staffers took off in search of a lawyer, who obtained a court order allowing the corps to participate in prelims. Although the corps was allowed to compete, to the astonishment and delight of the crowd and judges alike, their results were withheld pending the outcome of the court order.

Somebody was not going to let this drop, but neither were the Bridgemen. The following day the corps rehearsed and prepared themselves mentally for Finals. Although there was some doubt, no one really believed that they wouldn't be allowed to perform. Late in the afternoon word came in that the Bridgemen had finished fourth in prelims and would be competing in Finals that night, right after Madison. Now it was time for the corps to pull itself together and show Mile High Stadium just what the Bridgemen were made of.

While taking the field that night, boos could be heard from the crowd. After the week they had had, the last thing the Bridgemen needed was to be put down by the people that mattered the most, their fans. That booing was probably the best thing that could have happened to a tired, emotionally drained Bridgemen corps. It galvanized them into a collective resolve that they were going win back their fans and give them a show that they would never forget.

Bayonne pulled out a performance that came from putting every bit of emotion built up during that week into their horns, drums and guard equipment. The corps left the field with the audience on their feet, clapping and shouting their approval; no boos then. The Bridgemen had redeemed themselves in the hearts of their audience.

The corps’ fourth place finish that night was tentative, contingent on the outcome of a consent judgment signed between the corps leadership and DCI a few months later. That agreement voided the Bridgemen’s performance but stipulated that the other corps would not move up in placement. As far as DCI history was concerned, the Bridgemen had been erased from the 1977 Championships. Competitive standing aside, this series of events took a tremendous emotional toll on members. Bu they also got angry and determined to do whatever it took to realize their goal the next year."

thanks www.corpsreps.com for the hookup

The year you are talking about is 1977 not 1974-and for anyone who ever wore a Bridgemen uniform, it hurt, but anyone who knows the Bridgemen knows we never quit, never give up-and I'm telling you-you havnt seen the last of The Bridgemen.

THE SHOW WILL NEVER END!!!!!!!!!!!

" As far as DCI history was concerned, the Bridgemen had been erased from the 1977 Championships. " Not true...you can go to DCI and purchase the Legacy Collection and you will find the 1977 Bridgemen included on the DVD.

This is true, but remember that the "Legacy" DVD collection is a fairly recently development. Prior to that, 1977 Bridgemen were, for all intents and purposes, "erased" from the record books, It looks like the corpsreps.com history has been derived from a web page I've cited several times over on RAMD (and that web page was created long before the DVDs came into existence). Here it is again: A Bit of Bridgemen History

And as far as their finals score, in some places everyone moves up and in others they just skip over 4th place.

I've seen 2-7 in 4th place for 77, and I've seen 2-7 in 5th place for 77.....

Either way I wish it never happened, and wished it had played out differently. Although DQed, they competed that night and placed 4th no matter how you slice it. Whatever happened 2 to 3 months later seemed too late! At least I think I remember them being announced that night...oh my it is tough to get old...to think I used to be able to remember every single thing that happened on the field...and now, I'm hardpressed to remember what I had for dinner last night!

In fact, I don't think there was a '74 or '75 Bridgemen. They made their triumphant return (much to MY delight) in '76 as the Bayonne Bridgemen.

The indelible memory for me is standing on the street waiting for the parade to start in NYC and looking over and seeing those long yellow coats. I was like #### that is so ####### cool.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

I think there might have been a 74 St. Andrews Bridgemen -- still silk shirts and shakos if I remember it right.