The Demise of VK

I would really like to know what happened, i've heard things over the years that blame everything on then director Tom Hixon. What really happened?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be noted that this didnt exactly happen overnight. VK was having organisational issues with money for several years prior to folding.

Here's the story...

There are two ways to pay staff. You can have them on a payroll, as a regular employee. If this is the case, deductions for federal and state taxes, SSI, FICA,and other applicable taxes are deducted from the check. You also have to pay into Workmen's Compensation. A W-2 form is issued at the end of the year.

The other way is to pay them as independent contractors. There is no need for payroll deductions or workmen's comp, and the employee is liable for any taxes. A 1099 form is issued for this method.

VK did neither. They just paid their staff.

A random IRS audit brought this information forward. The back-taxes, interest and penalty were more than the corps' finances could cover.

As the corps director, Hixon was ultimately responsible for this to get done, and he dropped the ball. So, is it fair to blame one person? Yes. Gross mismangement, IMO.

Sure, there were other concerns, but this was the primary reason VK no longer exists.

The moral: Never make a cymbal tech the corps director.

Garry

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Guest GeorgeD

Well Garry -

Point well taken. BUT there was a whole other group of individuals watching this "gross mismanagement" go on for many years - they were known as the B.O.D. - so in my view you cannot hold one person accountable - period.

Additionally - there are / were many alumni, volunteers, members and fans which cheered VK on in the stands -- and as one of those fans -- we all bear a bit of responsibility.

In my view.

That may be true but I blame Hixon for a lot of it. Tell how a man who, just the year before was only a pit tech, then become Corps Director.

True the demise started a few year before (as soon as Jack Bevins retired), but Hixon was not the man for the job, unfortunately no one else wanted the job, that's how he got it.

you can never fault the failure of an entire organization on one individual - imo

see westshoremen.

Guest GeorgeD
you can never fault the failure of an entire organization on one individual - imo

see westshoremen.

Jeff - even in Westshormen there was a B.O.D. - plus a whole staff and membership which tolerated the situation.

And yes - I am fully in the know about the "situation" :blink:

Guest GeorgeD
That may be true but I blame Hixon for a lot of it. Tell how a man who, just the year before was only a pit tech, then become Corps Director.

True the demise started a few year before (as soon as Jack Bevins retired), but Hixon was not the man for the job, unfortunately no one else wanted the job, that's how he got it.

OK - VK was never THAT organized to begin with.

BUT - he became director because the B.O.D. let him become director.