Bassline vs. Snareline

ICANBEJUSTASEVIL

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A corps needs all elements of the body. To crassly quote an old metaphor ... the brain doesn't think the a*s*s*hole's too important until the latter stops up and isn't working properly.

I'm quoting myself because it bears repeating. Not because I am a legend in my own time or in my own mind, but because TRUTH is self-evident.

Firstly,

You shouldn't disrespect Frank like that  , because he is a living legend in Drum Corps.

Lee should find this amusing because I have been chastised for a smart aleck comment. I meant no meaningful disrespect to Frank or anyone else. I apologize if Frank took it that way. I was being playful with a one-liner, thus the :silly:

...back to the original quote...

It has to do with the teamwork that is drum corps - or what drum corps SHOULD be. There seems to be an attitude developing in drum corps that parallels sports in our culture. Lip service is paid to the lineman that opens up the holes for the running back or protects the pass rush. Then, after the obligatory footnote, our culture commences to deify the quarterback or the high profile player. I see a lot of anti esprit de corps as drum corps takes on the trappings of sports posturing. I hear the trash talking too . . . instead of letting proficiency in the activity speak for itself.

When soloists show no humility and think their s*h*i*t doesn't smell, that is not good for drum corps or society. When snare players think they are more important than bass drum players it eventually defeats the corporate entity of the corps itself. The Drum Corps Hall of Fame is meant to honor CONTRIBUTIONS to the activity, not deify.

To my knowledge, the senior corps from Hawthorne, NJ is still introduced as the Caballeros, not "Jimmy Russo and his Caballeros." (notwithstanding his retirement)

:rolleyes: Blasphemy!?!?!?

No, blasphemy is when you insult God. Russo puts his pants on one leg at a time like everyone else.

I like Russo. I'm just using him as a high profile example to make a point, btw.

i find that both are very difficult.

snares have to play some pretty hard stuff perfectly in time and @ the same height as everyone else on the line.

however, basses have to be able to split up difficult passages. that means their timing needs to be impecable.

also, to whoever said basses will never be able to play stuff snares do: YOU ARE HORRIBLY MISTAKEN!!!!!! (unless, of course, you mean unison) they can split up even the hardest of snare parts (at least, the really good ones can)

-Giancarlos <santa>

Edited by Gbassman5

they key to bass drumming is mental. yeah you need hands, but the mental aspect is what makes it tough...staying in time with the line, the section, corps etc, often at huge distance(unlike the 2 step tango many snare lines do.

plus, even part of the interp aspect is mental.

now if you're on a top drum, sure you need hands.

but mental is what's needed, not the ability to play inverted heurta'd cheese chinchillas at 210

i'd like to be able to play those myself :P

( you know i have to take jabs at snare drummers...8 people sharin one brain and all :) )

You're comparing apples and oranges when you compare snare chops with bass chops :ph34r: . I think more than anything in a bassline, you're going to need to have LISTENING chops, as well as playing. Snarelines also use a great deal of listening to play together, but chop-wise, definitely snare drums, hands down.

At this point.. I refer people to Carolina Crowns recent I&E performances as many other bass lines at I&E that really show the whole power of bass. Playing books that are probably harder than snare books... split :)

Altho the point that is is one corps, one unit, solid is more important than which sections is harder.