Bassline vs. Snareline

ICANBEJUSTASEVIL

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few play bass (when they could really play snare) because they dig it more

that's so not true. BASS IS WHERE IT'S AT! many bass drummers in the top lines can play snare, but luv bass. I know a few dci top 12 bass drummers, that play in wgi world snare lines, just cuz they wanna do both. the top bass lines play music similar to the snare line, if not the same, only split up

to answer the question.. snare line requires more chops. but playin bass requires such a mental focus u could not believe, well, unless of course u've played bass. =P

also, different basses require different chops. bass 1 doesn't require the same chops as bass 5.... i.m.o. bass 5 requires the most chops out of all the battery. but only if playing w/ the proper technique that the top lines teach.

I think that both are as hard as you make them. You can play really really complicated, choppy stuff on both snare and bass, it totally depends how hard you push yourself. The difficulty of the bass and snare parts in any line depend on the players, and parts are beefed up or watered down depending on them. I think bass is more fun because its cool to work with other people and put something like a bass ensemble together. You never see a snare emsemble! (but heck, it might be cool)

I totally agree that bass is harder to practice by yourself. You either have to know all the parts and be singing them in your head, or make a midi file to play along with or something.

In conclusion, tenors are by far the hardest :P

You never see a snare emsemble! (but heck, it might be cool)

uhhhhhhh, no

Well, I've played straight Bass alonnnng time ago, rudimental bass, and was 5th bass in a line-that, by far was the most difficult-getting used to playing split parts, timing etc. Rudimental Bass is a different animal-which do I enjoy more? prob rudimental-but since no one uses it anymore, I think I'll try to stick to 4th or 5th bass in a line-and play rudimental for I&E.

Whoever in this thread said snare & bass are two different animals is 100%correct-they are alot different, and trying to make that comparison is very difficult-BUT rudiments are rudiments .......Benny

I believe that both sections have their strong fields but in all, I believe that they are equil. The snares have to focus on more of a performance level because they have to keep in mind that the simple mistakes that they might make like if a couple players in that section have a different stick higth, the judges in the box on top of the stands could pick that up very easily. Although the basses have to focus on the more musical field because each of the players have their specific parts within the song that makes the section blend as one. So in the long run, I believe that they are both the same.

more chops? definately snare. which is HARDER?? there is no answer. both are hard, but they're each a different kind of hard. snare is hard cause you all have to listen and play the same thing together, which isn't always easy. bass is hard cause you have to play as one section, as if it were one mind, but it's 5 guys trying to blend. chops and difficulty are two different things. snare requires more chops. neither is harder.

w/Stp: