Sky Ryders

I always thought it was sad that Sky seemed to lose its way in the years right before its demise.

From 12th in 1988 and 14th in 1989, the corps plummets to 19th in 1990 then pops back into finals in 1991 in Dallas. (A coincidence since the corps had just relocated to Dallas?) The final year, 1993, was a real disappointment to me as the corps abandoned its crowd-pleasing identity and presented a bizarre, inaccessible show. Then the corps folded.

It's almost like the corps was grappling with itself -- almost like it was ashamed to have had success with shows based on musicals and felt it had to do "serious" music.

Granted, these are only my observations as a fan in the stands; I know nothing about the dynamics of what led to the corps' downfall or any other details surrounding its demise. Can others share some insight? Thanks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gale-

I remember sharing a few moments with a alto player in 1988 at a McDonalds somewhere in Ohio following a show one night. Some of the nicest people I had ever met that year were from the Sky Ryders, and had it not been for the fact that we were competing agasint you all for the last spot in finals, I think we would have all had fun together.

I look back on the 1988 Sky Ryders as a group that deserved to be in finals, if not for anything but the hard work you put into your show all season (I seem to remember watching an impomtu marching rehearsal during warm-ups at Whitewater before you went on the field that night).

Now, I have no idea what happend to the Rainbow (god I hope that wasn't us, although I have heard "rumors" as well), but I think I can tell you about something involving a "note".... ;)

Hey Gale-

I remember sharing a few moments with a alto player in 1988 at a McDonalds somewhere in Ohio following a show one night. Some of the nicest people I had ever met that year were from the Sky Ryders, and had it not been for the fact that we were competing agasint you all for the last spot in finals, I think we would have all had fun together.

I look back on the 1988 Sky Ryders as a group that deserved to be in finals, if not for anything but the hard work you put into your show all season (I seem to remember watching an impomtu marching rehearsal during warm-ups at Whitewater before you went on the field that night).

Now, I have no idea what happend to the Rainbow (god I hope that wasn't us, although I have heard "rumors" as well), but I think I can tell you about something involving a "note".... ;)

88 Sky Ryders is a great example of how easy it is to fall in love with or be reminded why we love this activity. No deep meaning, just a fun show to watch and listen to. 87 Sky Ryders was I thought one of the best treatments of WSS I ever saw or heard. End of the show to Somewhere had me weepy. It was so beautifully done and just grabbed you're heart.

Jim Wolf

71-77 N. J. Black Watch

I miss Sky. In '93, I was stationed at Ft. Hood, Texas, which is right next to the city of Killeen. That year, Sky had unofficially moved to Killeen--Dallas (they were actually from DeSoto at that time) being about 2 or so hours away. I had the great fortune to see them rehearse a couple times, since they spent most of their time at a high school there. That year would also be the last year I would get too see the Freelancers on the field.

Funny that we take for granted that our corps will be around forever.

Edited by ravedodger

Hey Gale-

I remember that marching rehearsal. If I remember correctly, we were changing the last set of the show for the finals!. They were trying to make it NOT look the same on either side of the 50, so they changed the picture that afternoon. I think we scored a 72 that night and Freelancers did beat us. Seems like we scored in the 70's from late June until the second week in August. We didn't break 80 until Houston on August 10th. Sweet cereal for all!!!

Those "battles" between Sky Ryders and Freelancers were fun. Seems like every other night, we changed places. I always enjoyed hearing "yoda's theme" at retreat, which meant we came out on top :) . I am pretty sure if we lost to Freelancers, we played "edelweiss" and if we came out on top, we played the end of "My favorite things". By the way, the Rainbow wasn't you guys. It was another corps (from what I am told).

Gale

Gale, Hi... the good cereal thing was a Sky Ryders trademark, in 1984 and 1984 we also had to get the score to get the good stuff, below the score you had bland stuff that had no sugar, but when you got the score, FROOT LOOPS... What a way to get the kids to get the score, it was all for fun... Mark Ryan, Southern Silver Star Sr. Drum & Bugle Corps

Hey I just found out that the Associate Pastor emeritus of our church here in Cincy had three sons that marched SkyRyders. Any one out there know any of the Jewett boys from that corps? I'm sorry, I didn't talk long enough with their dad to get the years marched. . .

We started talking drum corps at the Y one morning when I told the elder Rev. Jewett that I did my workout routine to the sounds of DCI in my earphones and how it really got me going. I asked him if he knew anything about drum corps, and he said "I think I do - all our three sons marched in Hutchinson SkyRyders!" I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least. . .

So, I'm just wondering if anyone in DCP-Land knows any of these guys. . .

Regards,

Edited by Gorgoman

Well, the years I marched in 1984 & 1985 with Sky Ryders, Daniel Jewett was the corps director.. he stopped being director after the 1985 season... does that ring a bell with you.... I hope it does... I started a corps here in Louisiana called the Southern Silver Star, it is a Sr. corps.. here is our website.. www.SouthernSilverStar.org............. Thanks, Mark Ryan