Sky Ryders

Loved the blue and white uniforms they got in 85 or 86?

Definitely a new image, sharper image for the corps after being the "redneck pimps" I pulled out a cassette with the '82 show on it. #### the hornline was smoking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My post from the Favorite Sky Ryders post...

Nobody mentioning the 91 Camelot show? Tsk, tsk!

I was in awe as a tenor player in the 91 Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets drumline, when I first saw the Sky Ryders do that show...I have a judges tape (I wannna say Alan Christiansen?) I traded with one of them I think...I loved the drum solo when the corps did this ominous chanting and the snare lick came up...and I vaguely remember them doing a clean-### roll as the snare line knealt down and back up...beautiful.

Wish I could find someone who marched that year! I need another copy of that show!

Regards,

Daniel J

I REALLY miss this corps!

I remember reading about them in a feature in Modern Drummer Magazine sometime back in 89-90...I was in awe of them when I finally saw and met a few of them in 90-91...

Quick note: Two things happened in my life that kicked my tail into drum corps...the first was seeing Santa Clara play a standstill at the Santa Clara Parade of Champions after winning DCI in 1989...(really miss that October Parade!). I literally wept in my hands at the end of that one!

The second was the aforementioned article in Modern Drummer Magazine, which spoke of the commitment and heart that goes into every corps' season...particularily the Sky Ryders.

Wonderful Corps...Bravo!

Dan J

I have to say one thing for the Sky Ryders rifle line. They had one of the most insanely difficult rifle books I have ever seen. In some cases not to cleanly executed, but harder than just about EVERY other rifle lines book of those two years. I still look at the 81 and 82 videos in total awe. They truely pushed the envelope those years.

I was in the rifle line in 81 and 82 (I was DM in 83). We had a bunch of youngsters with absolutely no fear. Some of the stuff we did was ridiculous. Dirty, but ridiculous. We did "Leapfrog", "Death Row", "Roll-Over" (we were on our backs spinning, threw a horizontal, and rolled over while the rifle was in the air and caught it), two rifles, with the contras spinning another between our legs. Stupid stuff. Most of those things started as jokes. Most of the younger guys were rifles first and foremost. Hated doing flagwork, and looked like crap doing it. No dance, ever.

So much fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Sky Ryders were one of my first favorite corps when EK had a show with them in 83. Home on the Range was cool, but La Virgin de la Macarena - my first taste of screamin' soprano bugles. Plus, I think it was the first time I ever saw a King K-80 euphonium bugle. Loved 'em!

I marched Sky Ryders in 1985 and 1987. In 85, we had a mostly emerald uniform with black pants and emerald cadet hats. This was the 1st Wizard of OZ show which had the judges dumbfounded the entire season. :blink: They just hadn't seen anything like it and would not give us the score we thought we deserved. <**> They made up for their misdeed in 1986 when The corps finished 9th at Finals. :)

I marched again in 1987 in the West Side Story show and had fun even with the numerous bus breakdowns. :( West Side Story was an intense show that I think appealed to a lot of people. The black uniform for the low brass was kinda hot for performing in the sun. Luckily, most of our performances were at night, thanks to the 1986 finish. We finished 12th at Finals in 87.

I liked the King Bugles. I wish they still made them. Oh well, I guess Kanstul is the substitute.

1988. Probably the best hornline to ever perform as the opening act 912th place) at DCI FInals. 2003 Spirit is the first one to come close.

I first saw The Hutchinson, KS "Sky Riders" way back around 1962 or 63--surely not as late as 64, though maybe?--at a contest in Emporia. (I guess The Plainsmen were there, too?)

The family was on a vacation from Cali to see the relatives in Kansas and I talked my dad into taking in a drum corps show along the way. Conned my way onto the track by wearing my DRUM CORPS NEWS legion cap and carrying a clipboard.....

Met a sweetheart of a girl from Enid, OK, Legionettes.....name is lost to me but she was a beauty!.....we corresponded by real mail back in the day. Hot stuff for a 14 year old......me, not her!

Oh, Sky Ryders?, musta been in the John Simpson days, I think. Very impressive corps.....way above California, especially SoCal in those early days.

Funny how these topics kick the Wayback Machine into full throttle, eh, Mr. Peabody?

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

No one has mentioned 1989. I loved that show of Hindemith and Carmina Burana. Thought it was very nicely conceived. I was so disappointed when the corps did not make finals, but I bought the DCI tape so I could keep a record of that show. Not something I usually did.

Can I ask you one question about that show?? It's always bugged me.

During Lonely Goatherd, is there a ensemble tear during the contra feature? To me, it sounds like the pit had to actually stop playing for a moment, and come back in on the cymbal crash.

Not bashing or slamming, as I stated my opinion above, but I've always been curious.

I'm not sure what you mean by an ensemble tear. The mallets stopped playing on the final phrase of the contra feature, and the tympany plkayed the final phrase mirrored the contra part, which was followed by the cymbal crash.

I hope that helps.

Tim Kviz

Sky Ryders 85-88