1985 Vanguard question

The pants trick was actually quite simple. The corps had two pairs of pants on: One green, with one white underneath. The green pants were velcroed all along the seams down both legs so that they could simply be ripped off. As a member marched into the tunnel, they had a firm grip on the green pants and, as soon as they entered the tunnel, pulled them off. There were assistants in the tunnel to make sure everyone got 'em off.

Quite ingenious, actually.

What is really fun to watch is how they lined up everyone so that when a Contra entered the tunnel, he would exit a second later and so on down the line with every one else.

Oh, and BTW, "Chaos" is SCV's middle name...Go figure.

Some called it the car wash-- we'd go in dirty, & come out clean. At various points in the season we tried different things, as when we first started there were times when the very last two horn players (baritones) couldn't get out in time. I can personally vouch for how frantic this was, because I was the last guy out (I'm the skinny guy with eyeglasses on the tape). Finally it evolved to adding the low walk/jazz run (to the detriment of the poor contras!), "booszhing" the arc form and "whipping" into the tunnel at the last second. I personally enjoyed being the last guy out, as I got to hear the huge crowd reaction which gave me a sense of how much energy we were projecting to the crowd ("Hmm, that seemed to go pretty well...") I recall DCI East and Finals having a huge reaction; too bad the placing wasn't there.

On the flip side, the tunnel was also fraught with eternal peril: sometimes stuff that was supposed to stay on, didn't. Like the show in DCI Texas, where I went through the tunnel, and the horn player/"asst" reached up to grab the pants as I whizzed by (I already had them off), and, instead of taking my pants, he ripped off the front of my tunic instead by mistake and stuffed it into the huge trash can, thus exposing the red w/white stripe tunic front underneath.

This was very bad.

The TV show "Fear Factor" ain't got nuthin' on those precious few milliseconds where I had to decide whether or not to (A) stay in the tunnel and let my "hole" go, jam my horn in the trashcan and go hang out with the "asst" on the back sideline for the rest of the show and face the wrath of G.R. afterward, or (B ) soldier on with the "wrong" uniform on and face the wrath of G.R. afterward because I had the dumb luck of also being a setpoint for a couple of forms later on when I was close to the front sideline. On top of it all, the "asst" panicked ("Oh sh--!"), which didn't help my anxiety level any. Picking Option B, at the very last moment I leapt out of the tunnel with my horn up but my elbows down a bit to "hide" the white stripe as much as possible, to no avail. The moment I heard the "roarrrhuh??" crowd reaction I thought, "Oops, bad idea." When the show was finally (mercifully?) over G.R. came looking for me and wanted to see me...alone. He was, um, most upset, yes he was; I thought he was going to have a coronary as I stood there, wondering what else could possibly go wrong during my age-out year. :lol:

Sorry for the impromptu story time! :P

EDIT: Maggie, I love G.R.'s quote in your sig!

Edited by SCVAlumTofRGuy

Are there any photos of this anywhere?

We watched the corps from the sidelines while they were going through the tunnel.

Looked like complete chaos!

Man, I loved watching it from the endzone! A sight I will never forget. B)

I loved watching it from any angle. What an incredible show!