Remember When....

You see that dot on the wall? That is your dot! You don't move you don't blink all you've got is that dot. If the building falls down you better pretend that dot is still there.

Do Not move! Got it?

Dont think about it DO IT!

(Rick Odello telling us the fine art of standing at attention)

Yep, I had that class in Drum Corps and again in the Army. :beer:

Edited by Kansan

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately old school

1. Black all-wool uniform with a "bucket" for the metal pole (with spearpoint)

2. It didn't matter if your flag was in your face, your hat being held by your teeth, your arm lying on the field - you did not move.

3. Never knowing there was a horn solo during that slow part until you listened to the RECORDS, because you were, yes, in the back.

4. Knowing if you were on the "starting line" or "finish line" side of the field.

5. Swiping traffic cones in construction zones.

It still makes me sick to see how corps set up: talking, stretching, moving all over the place.... tell me another performance art that warms up physically in front of the audience. Tacky tacky tacky.

They started that physical stretching warmup thing in 1986 or 87. :beer: I don't know if there was a rule change or what. I always liked to Horn & Drum warmup on the field though. That always got me psyched up and got rid of the butterflies. :beer:

They started that physical stretching warmup thing in 1986 or 87. :beer: I don't know if there was a rule change or what. I always liked to Horn & Drum warmup on the field though. That always got me psyched up and got rid of the butterflies. :beer:

I can tolerate the stretching thing if it helps prevent injuries from the intence marching style used. But, I cannot STAND seeing the Guard do the Kissy, Kissy, Hug, Hug thing. It makes me want to ampssuck.

I can tolerate the stretching thing if it helps prevent injuries from the intence marching style used. But, I cannot STAND seeing the Guard do the Kissy, Kissy, Hug, Hug thing. It makes me want to ampssuck.

I've gotta agree with you there. I guess we're just too "old school," but for me, from the time the corps entered the field until we left, we were onstage. So whatever needed to be done in terms of stretching, "good luck" wishes, etc., was done before then. It just looks very casual to me, seeing all that happen on the field.

I've gotta agree with you there. I guess we're just too "old school," but for me, from the time the corps entered the field until we left, we were onstage. So whatever needed to be done in terms of stretching, "good luck" wishes, etc., was done before then. It just looks very casual to me, seeing all that happen on the field.

All the huggy kissy, slapping backs stuff happened long before you were in public view. You might slip a wink to a co-marcher as you are setting up on the starting line, but that was it. And stretching is always a valuable tool, but not something you showboat and present as part of the show. From the moment we got off of the busses we were on, that's the way I was taught anyway.

North Star did the kissy-huggy thing on the starting line in 1980. So it ain't exactly new.

North Star did the kissy-huggy thing on the starting line in 1980. So it ain't exactly new.

That's true . . . and I didn't like it then. Probably the only thing I disliked about North Star, but it did bug me. It also bugged me when corps lost their military bearing for whatever reason. I'm old-school, I admit it. But I guess I just feel there's a certain type of decorum for the field, and then the other stuff is best done privately.

The only corps I ever gave a "pass" on that was Bridgemen . . . but that's because that's just who they were. It wasn't like one minute they staunchly military, and then the next they were doing their funky thing. They pretty much always had that funky attitude, and the surprise was that odd moment when they were military. So for me, it's almost a stylistic thing. Most corps were military at that time, so when they dropped their military bearing, for whatever reason, it really stuck out in what for me was an oddly uncomfortable way.

I'm not saying don't ever, ever, ever show emotions. I can think of some notable exceptions where I think it had to happen that way. But my preference, overall, was to maintain whatever composure you were trained to do consistently, as long as you were on the field.

All the huggy kissy, slapping backs stuff happened long before you were in public view. You might slip a wink to a co-marcher as you are setting up on the starting line, but that was it. And stretching is always a valuable tool, but not something you showboat and present as part of the show. From the moment we got off of the busses we were on, that's the way I was taught anyway.

Today "being on" is not the same as it was in the day. I have no problem with the members dong whatever it is they want to do in those final few moments.

Yup, I agree. I can't change what they're doing now, obviously, but it is something that grates on my nerves.