Remember When....

That's true . . . and I didn't like it then. Probably the only thing I disliked about North Star, but it did bug me. It also bugged me when corps lost their military bearing for whatever reason. I'm old-school, I admit it. But I guess I just feel there's a certain type of decorum for the field, and then the other stuff is best done privately.

Didn't they also warm up with their equipment? How do you feel about the equipment part? (sorry I didn't get to read thru the whole thread) I can't remember if many guards did that way back when.

The first time I remember being able to warm up with my equipment on the field was 1994. There may have been an exhibition or 2 in the 70s or 80s, but I don't remember it if we were allowed to do it.

That, besides the kissing and hugging ended at the door and once it was over and we were in line, the warm up was also over.

Although while setting up/counting off the rifle line in 80 I would shake each person's hand as well as adjust those heavy busbys if asked to. But I don't believe it was really all that noticeable with my back to the front.....prior to heading down the line.

Edited by LancerFi

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today "being on" is not the same as it was in the day. I have no problem with the members dong whatever it is they want to do in those final few moments.

When you go to a Broadway show, do you want to see the performers warming up and stretching? Do you want to see them making kissy face and hugging? I didn't think so. The bottom line, if this is entertainment, than it is unprofessional to do this stuff infront of an audience. It is self indulgent.

When you go to a Broadway show, do you want to see the performers warming up and stretching? Do you want to see them making kissy face and hugging? I didn't think so. The bottom line, if this is entertainment, than it is unprofessional to do this stuff infront of an audience. It is self indulgent.

It all depends on whether the director/choreographer/musical director wants you to see that. Call it postmodern or whatever, content dictates form. VK and the Bridgemen or whoever could do that and get a pass on it, but you wouldn't expect to see it fom Anaheim or the Boston Crusaders. One of the advantages of being a pithead was we could do more iof that stuff than the battery, and even when staff tried to tell me it wasn't "classy," I told them what they could do with all their "class" (seeing as how we, you know, played rock music and all).

The major curcuits in the areas you mention were the Great Lakes Drum Corps Assoc(The Gmen's home curciut.....Champs 72-75) The Ohio-Penn Curcuit. and the fore-runner of DCM, The Illinios Drum Corps Curcuit (I THINK that was the name, we didn't compete there much)

So many corps back then........At one time, just the G.L.D.C.A. had over 50 member corps!

Thank you. That is correct, as I recall it. Great Lakes Drum Corps Association.

One great thing about this forum. When you have a old timers memory fart, someone here will come up with the answer to that empty space in the old memory.

Thank you. That is correct, as I recall it. Great Lakes Drum Corps Association.

One great thing about this forum. When you have a old timers memory fart, someone here will come up with the answer to that empty space in the old memory.

I seem to get a lot of those lately myself! :P

Who did you march with from these parts?

Duh! I just looked at your profile....You were with the Bluecoats just as they were moving from Class "A" to Open Class huh? I remember after we came back to competition in 79, we just couldn't seem to catch you guys anymore. Previously, it had always been the other way around! Too bad we don't have all the corps here in Ohio like we did back then huh? Used to be some pretty darned good competition in this state!

Edited by Bob Brady

Yeah, I don't remember much huggy-kissy-feely back in 60's/early 70's - I remember warmups but can't recall any calisthenics or stretching but there were plenty of folks warming up their lips, wrists, arms, legs before a show! In fact, it seemed like lots would spend time alone in thought, or mentally working on what they had to do for the show ahead of time, before putting on the uni!

I seem to get a lot of those lately myself! :P

Who did you march with from these parts?

Duh! I just looked at your profile....You were with the Bluecoats just as they were moving from Class "A" to Open Class huh? I remember after we came back to competition in 79, we just couldn't seem to catch you guys anymore. Previously, it had always been the other way around! Too bad we don't have all the corps here in Ohio like we did back then huh? Used to be some pretty darned good competition in this state!

Well, Bob,

I think I may not be the only one with the confused memory. Then again, it may still be me. The Bluecoats went inactive in 1979. Some of us showed up for the 1979 rehearsal season and there were very few of us. So, the directors decided to fold the corps. The Bluecoats reorganized in 1980 (as I recall) and the rest is history! The Bluecoats did not field a corps in 1979, and I went on to other pursuits. My age-out year would've been 1982, and after the folding, I should've come back.

And, you're correct, it is sad that so many corps from our circuit have folded. When we won the state championship in 1978, we had some stiff competition. I still have the shirt I personally embroidered with Ohio State Champions! We were awfully proud of that. That, and our Class "A" Champions patch from the American International in Butler, PA.

You're also right that we went Open Class in 1977. We were 36th in Open Class at Nationals in 1977, and 26th in 1978. That close to making the Top 25, when Top 25 meant something!

Didn't they also warm up with their equipment? How do you feel about the equipment part? (sorry I didn't get to read thru the whole thread) I can't remember if many guards did that way back when.

I think they were among very few at that time. I wouldn't have minded if it were in unison, like the horn and drum warm-ups. But to see a bunch of individuals doing their own thing out there . . . well, it just looked like a bunch of individuals, which to me is the antithesis of corps.

At some point a year or two later (or a few years later; can't remember for sure), Madison's guard began doing dance warm-ups, but I believe they did them in unison. That, I liked, because they were doing it as a guard, together, not as a bunch of individuals.

I think they were among very few at that time. I wouldn't have minded if it were in unison, like the horn and drum warm-ups. But to see a bunch of individuals doing their own thing out there . . . well, it just looked like a bunch of individuals, which to me is the antithesis of corps.

At some point a year or two later (or a few years later; can't remember for sure), Madison's guard began doing dance warm-ups, but I believe they did them in unison. That, I liked, because they were doing it as a guard, together, not as a bunch of individuals.

I didn't like the warm up on the field either. We were told we could stretch but that was it.

Even now when I see a guard warm up on the field I have to say something. Especially when I see flags moving. I tell them by exposing the flag before the show starts ruins the overall impact.

I mean like if they ain't warmed up enough by now they shouldn't be on the field! :sshh:

I mean like if they ain't warmed up enough by now they shouldn't be on the field! :sshh:

I agree!

Though, I will say that when the horns and drums warm up on the field, it's a great hype. But the thing is, each section is warming up together. I have no problem with the guard doing a warm-up on the field . . . as long as it's done together. I've seen lots of guards do it, and they do it so well that it produces the same kind of hype as the horn and drum warm-ups.