Remember When....

Here's a couple more for you old schoolers.

Remember when you could tell a solo (or lead if you're not from the East) soprano by the ring on their slide?

Or when the corps 'converted' the horns to G/F by pulling out the old rotory or slide and soldering on the new ones?

Loved this thread!

And for all of us who had to stand at attention---Belleville Black Knights, with the 'chrome dome', not allowed to move or wipe the sweat from your eyes while standing in the sun. Even when the person next to you passed out! And as someone else mentioned, that was in the parking lot waiting to go on!

Ahhh the good ol' days.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were there in '76, Guerno. '77, too, if I recall.

Ken Kile

Contra 76-77

Ken?? Why arent you doing the Scouts Aumni Corps???

I always liked to see pictures of The Black Knights.....that helmet was da kine headgear.

RON HOUSLEY

Still have my helmet sitting in my library. And...staying with old school.... NO ONE is allowed to put it on! Well except for me after a few cocktails.... :P

The Belleville Black Knights placed 5th at Houston AL Nationals in 1971 with a 67.75.

The Lynwood Diplomats, the corps I instructed, came in 6th with 58.80. I didn't get to make the trip but I always like to think that we were only 2 corps under The Muchachos and two corps ahead of FrankBeMe's Northenaires who placed 8th.

Considering that The Dips scores were pretty reflective of how we did in California most of the time, placing 3rd mostly behind my homies The Kingsmen and Velvet Knights, I'm satisfied.

And we were only 27.50 behind the winning Argonne Rebels! (Heh!)

RON HOUSLEY

The Belleville Black Knights placed 5th at Houston AL Nationals in 1971 with a 67.75.

The Lynwood Diplomats, the corps I instructed, came in 6th with 58.80. I didn't get to make the trip but I always like to think that we were only 2 corps under The Muchachos and two corps ahead of FrankBeMe's Northenaires who placed 8th.

Considering that The Dips scores were pretty reflective of how we did in California most of the time, placing 3rd mostly behind my homies The Kingsmen and Velvet Knights, I'm satisfied.

And we were only 27.50 behind the winning Argonne Rebels! (Heh!)

RON HOUSLEY

ROFL!

• 1 month later...
Are you sure, Dan? Found this link on the Wisconsin State Fair website regarding "The Milwaukee Mile". looks like they have a full season of racing planned.

http://www.milwaukeemile.com./

Garry

I remember marching at West Allis on the track and having to stop half way through - move to the back of the track - then continue the show.

I also remember it felt like playing into a wall!

I remember marching at West Allis on the track and having to stop half way through - move to the back of the track - then continue the show.

I also remember it felt like playing into a wall!

I remember having to do the same thing in Springfield, IL at the Illinois State Fair Show.