Remember When....

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to hit a judge - yes, always a challenge for each show!!! :P

Thanks again for the memories!

Amen to that....hunting judges, is more like it. If you watch some of the old school drills, you'll see that the drum lines were often blanketed within guard and such so the drum judges couldn't get to them, and than out of no where cymbal players would arrive to ward them off even further, especially in the early parts of the season. ^0^

Head chops - heck, I remember the CYMBAL players doing head chops - Racine Scouts in the 60's - the cymbal players wore berets so the cymbals could clear their heads!

I LOVE THIS THREAD!

Than I recommend you make your way to DCI in 2007. ^0^

Than I recommend you make your way to DCI in 2007. ^0^

I take it this is a hint................of things to come?

A word to the wise rather than just a hint.

Re: headchoppers. Really a big thing in the 60s. Anaheim Kingsmen did two versions.....a faster one in 67 and a slightly different one in 68.

We're talking about the horn line here.......if one were to forget to duck, OR changed places in the opening sequence and had to change from "turn first" to "duck first"....and didn't duck, there would be a loud, resound BINNGGGGGGG!! when your face was creased by the edge of a horn bell whipping through at just under supersonic speed.

This happened at an early 67 rehearsal and I literally knocked a guy off his feet when he couldn't remember he was now a "ducker." I told him "...get it right this time, 'cuz I'm not going to check-swing on you and I'm comin' around HARD....!"

I still remember that sound......and I bet he still has a scar or at least one heck of an indentation in his forehead.

RON HOUSLEY

07 Kingsmen Alumni Corps

Edited by ffernbus3

Well, I guess I'm a young'un here. I'm only 15, but thought that this thread was very interesting. While, I haven't toured with a corps yet('06 is my first summer; I just discovered DC in summer of '05), there may be a couple things I could express my views on since I've been in marching band for 3 years, and a few corps rehearsals:

From what I've seen, drum majors do lead a large amount of rehearsal. However, when it comes down to it the instructional staff leads the rehearsals. They're

Also, after watching some old shows from the 70's, I would say that the music and drill is more difficult today than it was then. There were some things I loved from the old videos, but I will venture to say that I wasn't a huge fan of the extremely military movements. I believe that corps today are more expressive and free moving in their drill and execution, and the fluidity of their movement makes it more exciting to watch. I had never really seen a guard spin that much before watching the archival videos. Reminds me of a prop plane. :P Most guard work done today is dance-oriented, and there's much more tossing. The mark of a good guard member today is not the ability to spin, but how cleanly and how high one can toss a rifle/sabre, as well as the grace and control in movement.

You see guards drop a lot more equipment today than 20 years ago +, as well. It doesn't matter how high the rifle is tossed. To an old schooler, it's the CATCH that matters.

I say it's just as difficult now as it was then.

Amen to that....hunting judges, is more like it. If you watch some of the old school drills, you'll see that the drum lines were often blanketed within guard and such so the drum judges couldn't get to them, and than out of no where cymbal players would arrive to ward them off even further, especially in the early parts of the season. ^0^

Big ol' cymbal crashes at the end of a long extended roll were VERY common back in the 70's...hid a multitiude of bad releases, esp if the cymbals were positioned directly in front of the snares.

:)

For the young folks:

M & M does not have any connection to the candies. M&M = Marching and Maneuvering.

BTW anyone remember "interval sticks"?

YES....

and I used to use interval ropes with my MB back in the 70's....easier on the curved forms.

Big ol' cymbal crashes at the end of a long extended roll were VERY common back in the 70's...hid a multitiude of bad releases, esp if the cymbals were positioned directly in front of the snares.

:)

Funny you should mention that. I was in a parade recently with The Renegades and I played tight chokes at the end of each eight count roll in the streat beat and pondered how I never would have been allowed to do this "back in the day". b**bs

:D

Trying to hit a judge - yes, always a challenge for each show!!! :P

We always said hitting a judge was worth 500 brownie points! I do remember one manuver where we usually managed to get the judge boxed in. :D