Star of Indiana

Not really a "Best of all time" or a "Best Star show ever" poll, but take all their shows, and rank them according to your favorite..not how well they did in competition, just how YOU liked them.

Here goes.

1. 1990 - Possibly one of the best shows ever, an absolutely stunning display of visual prowess and musicality......opening brass statement and guard moment still bring goosebumps..as does final minute of drill....

2. 1989 - I call it a tribute to 27th and Guardsmen, but it really is a testament to a solid corps emerging as a "big boy". Again, a top notch, formidable visual program and a guard that utilized effectively four different pieces of equipment.

3. 1993 - What a bizzare, "out there" show....done so well, and performed so perfect that it turned "Medea" accessible !! LOL...this is probably the "birth" of todays drum corps (Ask Glassmen) and this show was packed with stunning moments....probably the most underrated guard performance and defiently Star's most capable guard ever......

4. 1992 - Hokey ?? maybe....but this "Tough pill to swallow" was packed with pageantry, emotion, technical proficiency and what a hornline !!!!! I loved the screens, the music, the guard, the colors..etc..etc....They man-handled the competition all year, only to be (sigh) upended by two shows that (Insert reason why) didnt seem to have enough weight to accomplish that task.

5. 1991 - The Zingali masterpiece. The culmination of year after year of picking up steam......just listening tot his show makes one need to catch their breath.....a Mellophoneline thatdoesnt even breathe and a drill that never lets the performer rest....a great total show package........

6. 1988 - Porgy & Bess.....a pleasing , mature show for a corps on the rise...this show did alot of damage in the beginning of th eyear and you knew it was a taste of things to come. A pleasing visual package and awesome hornline.

7. 1987 - "Thunder & Blazes" never sounded so good..and while this was a show full of antics, it delivered in the area of entertainment...again, great , solid drill and solid brass/percussion......it was just a fun show....

8. 1985 - The first year..a legend is born..... finals on their first try. The sentimental favorite of some, A show that was ample in talent and design....

9. 1986 - Yuk !! THose wigs ont he guard, the "habitrails" .......This is one show I wish just didn't exist...but youg otta give it up to the contras.....LOL

~G~

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. '91 - One of the hardest shows ever put on the field. Amazingly, contrary to everything a drum corps usually does, they seemed to move FASTER and FARTHER during the hard musical parts. WOW. (Remember...I'm a mellophone player... :o :blink: ^OO^ )

2. '90 - Really cool, extremely original show. Best part of the show....the end of the opener. Those trumpet articulations, the low brass chords, that crazy trill right before the closing 4 notes....my god.

I don't really feel like commenting on the rest, I need to get some homework done.

3. '93

4. '89

5. '87

6. '92

7. '88

8. '85

9. '86 (havent heard it, actually....except for "close encounters" b**bs )

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I dislike any of the shows. Well, considering the shows surrounding it...I was very disappointed with '92....maybe it has to grow on me.

Edited by GoPhantom

91'- Really great stamina in the mello's, awesome drill, and a really cohesive concept. It stands as my fave' because I just watch it and think, "Holy $%". It's an amazing show IMO.

93'- Wonderful execution of a hard concept. A little too "nebulous" for someone who doesn't know DCI. But the dynamic contrast in the ensemble is jaw-dropping. A very clean and powerful guard just adds to the total experience.

86'- I don't care that the guard was very wierd and tricked out. I love the music because it's really easy and fun to enjoy. And I love the conversation in "Close Encounters". Not what one would call groundbreaking, jeez, it wasn't even very cerebral. But for simply doing what it does best, entertain, it get's my vote.

As for the rest,

That's how I see it.

Star of Indiana. One of the greatest corps of all time. Geez I miss them.

My favorite Star shows in order...

1. 1990 "Belshazzar's Feast"

2. 1993 "Medea"

3. 1991 "Roman Images"

4. 1989 "British Invasion"

5. 1988 "Porgy & Bess"

6. 1986 "Out of This World"

7. 1987 "Greatest Show on Turf"

8. 1985 "Disney show"

9. 1992 the cheesy patriotic overkill show

1993 - The best drum corps performance ever.

1990 - One of the best ensemble efforts of that year - and high brass.

1991 - Deserved it all the way and the mellos were sick.

1989 - Awesome. They made something so difficult sound so simple.

1988 - Great show, hummable music and an incredible mello solo in the middle.

1985 - I love Disney

i would have to agree completely with radiosteele... star 938 may be in my mind one of the greatest dci shows ever done and theres no plausible reason they should have ever been put in 2nd that year

1992 (mainly for the music of "Amber Waves")