1980 DCI Finals

You mean Burl Ives. (aka snowman in Rudolph) That's what we used to call him.

Can' t you just see him singing "Have a holy jolly Christmas" :blink:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to 1977. I marched 76-78 and the alumni corps. I loved the 77 show. 1976 was an awesome experience, but the "Sweet Georgia Brown" drum solo into Danny Boy had that contra part at the end that I never felt like it worked. (Although it was better than the original concept where we played the tune on our mouthpieces). Fanfare to Rocky from CYO Nationals on didn't need a hit or a crescendo to get the crowd on their feet. Just the opening statement did it! OK, I liked "Gonna Fly Now", but I cringe every time I see Mark Sylvester "discoing" before his solo. "Gaite Parisienne" was a blast to play, even watered down. You can't see it on the video, but the ending featured the by now famous opening and closing box on the 50 yard line made famous in 1979 and forward. It was performed by the hornline on either side of the field. I'm pretty sure (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), that Stephen Covitz came up with that one. The drill that year was written by 4 different people - Ralph Pace, George Zingali, Covitz, and Bob Stewart. Oh, and LancerFi, I LOVED the under the leg thing during the jazz waltz :blink:

Back to 1977.  I marched 76-78 and the alumni corps.  I loved the 77 show.  1976 was an awesome experience, but the "Sweet Georgia Brown" drum solo into Danny Boy had that contra part at the end that I never felt like it worked. (Although it was better than the original concept where we played the tune on our mouthpieces).  Fanfare to Rocky from CYO Nationals on didn't need a hit or a crescendo to get the crowd on their feet.  Just the opening statement did it!  OK, I liked "Gonna Fly Now", but I cringe every time I see Mark Sylvester "discoing" before his solo.  "Gaite Parisienne" was a blast to play, even watered down.  You can't see it on the video, but the ending featured the by now famous opening and closing box on the 50 yard line made famous in 1979 and forward.  It was performed by the hornline on either side of the field.  I'm pretty sure (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), that Stephen Covitz came up with that one.  The drill that year was written by 4 different people - Ralph Pace, George Zingali, Covitz, and Bob Stewart.  Oh, and LancerFi, I LOVED the under the leg thing during the jazz waltz  :blink:

Thank you Darhlin!! :huh:

Anyway, I believe Mark and all of our discoing was 1978 during:

Celebrate, Celebrate, Dance to the Music.......it was much more of an upbeat song and on PBS the commentator did say they loved the concert segment and what the guard did..

The whole guard was dancing so I assume Zingalia probably said Dance.....I'm sure of it actually....

You're right as usual, Nancy. 1978 disco was trying to cash in on Quasar's success. Remember Papaya?? "Celebrate" was brought back after the Tower of Power tune ("Because I Think the World of You") tanked as a concert. Remember the guard member doing a solo ballet? Zingali was a little TOO way ahead of his time with that one. All in all, the finals performance was pretty good. That was a looooong season though. Wish I'd been eligible to march '79 and gone out with more of a bang.

You're right as usual, Nancy. 1978 disco was trying to cash in on Quasar's success.  Remember Papaya??  "Celebrate" was brought back after the Tower of Power tune ("Because I Think the World of You") tanked as a concert.  Remember the guard member doing a solo ballet? Zingali was a little TOO way ahead of his time with that one.  All in all, the finals performance was pretty good.  That was a looooong season though.  Wish I'd been eligible to march '79 and gone out with more of a bang.

How many shows did we actually play that before Wedge pulled out Celebrate? How about a certain person yelling during CYO for the fans to clap!

You're right as usual, Nancy. 1978 disco was trying to cash in on Quasar's success.  Remember Papaya??  "Celebrate" was brought back after the Tower of Power tune ("Because I Think the World of You") tanked as a concert.  Remember the guard member doing a solo ballet? Zingali was a little TOO way ahead of his time with that one.  All in all, the finals performance was pretty good.  That was a looooong season though.  Wish I'd been eligible to march '79 and gone out with more of a bang.

Yes, we played Celebrate for the rest of the year...anyway, did you know that Donna Summer's "Last Dance" was our 1979 OTL? The horn line kind of learned it and George had us (the rifles) "jazz running" as they call it now, from backfield to the front....moving our shoulders back and forth...anyway...

we were at a Chinese restaurant after we scrapped it for Folk Song Suite and the Grammy went to that song....Zingali was in our face, I told you I could pick em, etc. me, Denise B and Darlene B and a few other were laughing so hard!!

It was fun that the staff was young when I was marching....we were with them most of the time.....especially 79 & 80.....well I think because we marched with so many of them who I had known since 72, basically the M&M and guard staff were the people I ended up with.....I liked knowing things before they were going to happen, and they were a hoot!...of course it helped to be with such a good friend all the time - Darlene, R.I.P.

Yes, I remember the ballet, come to find out Yvonne was not a dancer - I find out 23 years later....now Bunny H. was triple jointed....I don't know how that all happened but the nipped it quick enough so that we could stay in the top 12 that year.... :P

Edited by LancerFi

Yes, we played Celebrate for the rest of the year...anyway, did you know that Donna Summer's "Last Dance" was our 1979 OTL?  The horn line kind of learned it and George had us (the rifles) "jazz running" as they call it now, from backfield to the front....moving our shoulders back and forth...anyway...

we were at a Chinese restaurant after we scrapped it for Folk Song Suite and the Grammy went to that song....Zingali was in our face, I told you I could pick em, etc.  me, Denise B and Darlene B and a few other were laughing so hard!!

It was fun that the staff was young when I was marching....we were with them most of the time.....especially 79 & 80.....well I think because we marched with so many of them who I had known since 72, basically the M&M and guard staff were the people I ended up with.....I liked knowing things before they were going to happen, and they were a hoot!...of course it helped to be with such a good friend all the time - Darlene, R.I.P.

Yes, I remember the ballet, come to find out Yvonne was not a dancer....now Bunny H. was triple jointed....I don't know how that all happened but the nipped it quick enough so that we could stay in the top 12 that year.... :P

Never mind Last Dance, how about the jazz version of Danny Boy!!

Never mind Last Dance, how about the jazz version of Danny Boy!!

Jazz and disco are 2 different animals as you very well know, however neither was an animal we did or were known for.... :P :P :angry::angry: b**bs

Yes, I remember the ballet, come to find out Yvonne was not a dancer....now Bunny H. was triple jointed....I don't know how that all happened but the nipped it quick enough so that we could stay in the top 12 that year.... :P

Stop.....you're making me laugh! :P

My husband Roger (Contra from California) will have to get in on this conversation when he gets home from work. He tells me this story all the time. About Papaya and the TOP tune. :) Side story, don't know if y'all know this but one of our own 27th Lancers drummers played with the Tower of Power a few years...Russ McKinnon :).