your first horn....

gothighnotes86

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Blessing Scholastic. It was an ok horn until I sort of started to be able to play it. The valves were so tiny! Two piece bell, laquer finish over brass with the outer slide tubes nickel plated. It blew about as free as a pocket trumpet or a very small piccolo. It was a really crappy horn, but it will get most people through junior high.

Next was a Bach Omega, traded it in for two pro bachs (Bb & C) when it started to redrot and I could tell it was a semi-pro horn.

My first horn was a Pan-American cornet my mother bought at a yard sale for $10 in 1982. I had wanted to learn clarinet or trombone, but the cornet is what we already had. So 22 years later, I have it at the ready with mouthpiece inserted, on display in my living room.

Edited by ravedodger

That's awesome Dave...

My first trombone in 5th grade was an Olds tenor trombone pea shooter. It just said Olds on the bell, nothing about Ambassador or anything like that. I upgraded to a King 4B with F/attachment that got me from my freshman year in high school all the way through university. Not a great horn for jazz band, but then again, I couldn't stand jazz band.

My first CORPS horn...it's a difficult question to answer. I had three. In 1982, for the one VK rehearsal I went to in the parking lot of the Big A Stadium, it was a P/R contra. It was chrome. And I was loud.

My second CORPS horn...was a two valve KING (????) contra with VK in the 1984 season, which I very stupidly QUIT at the Memorial Day Camp. WORST decision in my life...

My THIRD corps horn...was a two valve KING (????) baritone with VK, where I joined in February and stayed with 'em to the very end.

Oh yeah...and I played string bass in 4th grade. My dad had one because he was a pro musician back in the 40's and 50's.

My THIRD corps horn...was a two valve KING (????) baritone with VK, where I joined in February and stayed with 'em to the very end.

Ryan, any idea when VK used the 2 valve Baris? I bought a 2 valver off of ebay last year that supposed was used by VK. And yes it is a King....

Thanks in advance.

Ryan, any idea when VK used the 2 valve Baris? I bought a 2 valver off of ebay last year that supposed was used by VK. And yes it is a King....

Thanks in advance.

You mean when they FIRST used 2 valvers? I would defer to Charlie Groh on that one if that's your question. I'm sure he would know. I was using a King (I hope I'm right about that...Ron Zeilinger who was my section leader would probably remember better what we had) 2 valver in 1985, and we were still 2 valve in 1987 when I aged out.

Did I get you the answer you were looking for?

Thanks in advance.

You mean when they FIRST used 2 valvers? I would defer to Charlie Groh on that one if that's your question. I'm sure he would know. I was using a King (I hope I'm right about that...Ron Zeilinger who was my section leader would probably remember better what we had) 2 valver in 1985, and we were still 2 valve in 1987 when I aged out.

Did I get you the answer you were looking for?

That's fine, thank you. I remember the 2 upright valves showing up in the very late 70s in DCI but wasn't sure when the 3 valves started being used. Just trying to get a rough idea for my own benefit.

Funny thing is in Westshoremen Alumni there is an ex-BD 2 valve Bari and my ex-VK 2 valve. Talk about opposite ends of the DC spectrum. (DCI to Alumni) :)

My first horn in drum corps was a ONE valve baritone. I felt kind of ripped off because all the other corps had a valve/rotor combo. Any way the next year I

changed to mini-contra (something like a full size contra but half the size we were

a poor corps at the time) which had a valve/rotor and I was pleased as punch.

Then in 1977 we got brand spanking new Olds contras. (full size) There's nothing

like taking the plastic off a new horn and walking into the horn room and have

everyone else go YYYaaahhh!!!!!!

That's fine, thank you. I remember the 2 upright valves showing up in the very late 70s in DCI but wasn't sure when the 3 valves started being used. Just trying to get a rough idea for my own benefit.

I think it was '77 or '78 for 2 valves and the first year 3 valves were used was 1990--pretty sure anyway.

my first horn was a clarinet...then alto/tenor sax, then switched to primary Bass Clarinet and I marched Tenor Sax... then right before I graduated I went to an OregoN Crusaders camp to join the colorguard (I did winterguard) and I mentioned I wanted to do bari for 2004... well they handed one to me and said "blow in it"so I did... I made a sound, and thats how I became a (Yamaha?)Euphonium player for the 2003 season... turned out I was a really loud brass player... so now at the march camp of 2004 I now switched to (Kanstul)contra... sweet....

Edited by OC Euph