your first horn....

gothighnotes86

"First Horn":

1959. It was a GD bugle, soprano, brass finish with a piston and a piston "lock". As far as "make and model" went, it was 'probably' a "Leedy', a 'hand me down' from the St Vincents Cadets. No slide or 'rotor', although a functioning "slide" was sandpapered (you read it right) into it. Battered horncase, with no handle.

Graduated to a Getzen GD "tennor" soprano bugle in 1960, also brass finish, which did come with a "slide" and had a nice horncase. Switched to baritone in the Fall and got an almost new Getzen Deluxe GD piston/slide brass finish bass baritone bugle.

Elphaba

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my first instrument was a student model gemeinhardt flute...ick...then i moved to an artley, then to an armstrong...the armstrong was a step down, however, and i still regret my mother's decision to sell it...my first brass instrument was a reynold's F mello (i know...ancient), and it was horrible...it has a really stuffy sound, so i switched to a king F mello (both were school horns, and really bad, but the king was better)...then i bought a dynasty F mello from Carolina Crown for $700, and i liked it a lot, but my mother decided it wasn't worth what she paid for it, so she donated that one to the school and bought me a brand new yamaha F mello for $1400...it looks really nice, but i liked the dynasty better...for some reason, i can produce a better tone and have a higher range on the dynasty...at corps, i play on a dynasty G mello, which i like...

Edited by mellobecka05

a POS Selmer-Bundy student...in fact i played that thing until feb when i finally got a new horn for my 18th b-day... B) :wall: b**bs....now i understand why everyone always complained about the corps horns

Edited by tptguy512

my first brass horn that I played on was a Yamaha YBB201M convertible tuba, and my first drum corps horn was a Dynasty Super Magnum contrabass ( and I still play on that same horn )

my first was a King student trombone back in the fourth grade......actually opened it up the other day.....played it for three years after ready to throw it out the window many of times