What's Your Biggest Thrill In Drum Corps

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How cool is this? A thread over two years old and people are STILL talking about their biggest thrill in drum corps!

Believe it or not, the vast majority at DCP are brothers and sisters for life, we've had similar experiences, though we may have ended up in different places, but ya gotta admit, DCP is an awesome site to communicate across the generations and to share similar experiences!

One of the most interesting things for me Rob, is to read what these folks felt was their magic time. Since I started marching with 27th in 1973, I have witnessed nearly every episode of how these corps have risen through time.

I can see Rob Carson - his stoic face playing on the cymbals during SCV's first bottle dance. I remember when BD beat SCV in 1975 - everyone in my circles said either SCV is have a down year, or, everyone better watch out for BD. I remember Bayonne winning World Open in 1973 and then struggling while the Muchachos were sailing, and when the Muchachos stumbled, how Bayonne turned it into a resurrection of sorts, I remember Cadets in 1982 with Zingali and Rocky Point Holiday and thinking - my gosh - what a hornline. I remember Star coming onto the scene - and when Zingali worked with them in 1986 - I knew they were serious and wanted to be a playa.

I was with LancerFi in Lake Placid. It was a surreal experience for sure, but it didn't leave the same type of emotional tightness within us that a year's worth of marching together does.

And thankfully, that aging out has a way of mellowing fierce rivalries and we all know we loved what we did and are proud of our heritage.

I would have to say that my biggest thrill came this past season. It was our first show of the season (Pacific Procession) and it was my son's first show as a rookie.

It was our first father-son experience on the drum corps field. Thats the nice thing about an "all age" corps, you can actually march with your own kid!

Aaaaaah... the good old days of friendship and loyalty! It would have been easier to "jump ship" to one of the corps almost guaranteed to make finals, but you stuck it out with the (I assume) neighborhood corps! What a gas it must have been to be a part of that 1976 corps. You guys turned drum corps on its ear!

Actually by the time 74 rolled around I lived closer to Garfield and Hawthorne the thought never crossed my mind to change corps. I was a Bridgemen for life.

• 2 weeks later...

Winning the DCI Class A National Championship in on Franklin Field in 1975 as a member of the Greece Cadets.

What an amazing year that was....no one was expecting us to win or even knew who we were!

We swam in the fountain in the middle of Philadelphia that night!

Second to that was marching Open Class Finals in Exhibition and sharing the retreat field with the Open Class Corps.

One of the most interesting things for me Rob, is to read what these folks felt was their magic time. Since I started marching with 27th in 1973, I have witnessed nearly every episode of how these corps have risen through time.

I can see Rob Carson - his stoic face playing on the cymbals during SCV's first bottle dance. I remember when BD beat SCV in 1975 - everyone in my circles said either SCV is have a down year, or, everyone better watch out for BD. I remember Bayonne winning World Open in 1973 and then struggling while the Muchachos were sailing, and when the Muchachos stumbled, how Bayonne turned it into a resurrection of sorts, I remember Cadets in 1982 with Zingali and Rocky Point Holiday and thinking - my gosh - what a hornline. I remember Star coming onto the scene - and when Zingali worked with them in 1986 - I knew they were serious and wanted to be a playa.

I was with LancerFi in Lake Placid. It was a surreal experience for sure, but it didn't leave the same type of emotional tightness within us that a year's worth of marching together does.

And thankfully, that aging out has a way of mellowing fierce rivalries and we all know we loved what we did and are proud of our heritage.

Such perspective from LL. ALways appreciated.

I have a few to add, some new, others repeated.

1. With 27th: Winning CYO in 1977: As DM after a long and difficult first tour (we lost the first show by 15 points or so) we finished it by coming home to CYO. We had done well the night before at Allentown (4th?) and when we set up the Opener we had no room for the drum line because of the way the stadium was built, (corps started off the field then). Seeking relief, I was agruing with the legendary Shirley Whitcomb how she was going to crucify us because our drum line would be spending the first minute of the show adjusting to the correct sets. Finally she agreed to not look at them until they got comfortable. Seemed like the writing was on the wall. And then when we won, there wasn't a DM who didn't come up to me afterwards and say, we heard you guys were unbelievable today. Congratulations.

2. With Blue Devils, Bayonne 1982: Knowing the corps was angry about a few things and watching the performance from the sideline and realizing how at the end of the opener I hadn't seen more than one tick, from the entire corps! AT the end of the show, I realized I had seen the perfect combination of execution and emotion form a corps, a holy grail for instructors. The crowd rose to its feet as the gate turns unfolded and they screamed so loud. When the corps finished the ovation rose several decible levels the way an only an East Coast Crown can, and I looked up and people were fanatical. And the amazing part was the ovation didn't subside until well after the corps had left the stadium.

3. And an entirely personal moment: First year teaching BD, at a camp in Februaly or March when we firstlearned the end of the show musically. It was late at night, and the sopranos were running it down for the first time. When they played it it was hard to describe the energy, the emotion, the fire, the perfection, the VOLUME, and how inspiring it was. I felt right then and there, these were special kids who were about to do something special that year, and they did, going on to be the first undefeated corps in DCI (please no comments about Madison 75 who lost prelims regional

Sorry for the dribble, but great topic...

Such perspective from LL. ALways appreciated.

I have a few to add, some new, others repeated.

1. With 27th: Winning CYO in 1977: As DM after a long and difficult first tour (we lost the first show by 15 points or so) we finished it by coming home to CYO. We had done well the night before at Allentown (4th?) and when we set up the Opener we had no room for the drum line because of the way the stadium was built, (corps started off the field then). Seeking relief, I was agruing with the legendary Shirley Whitcomb how she was going to crucify us because our drum line would be spending the first minute of the show adjusting to the correct sets. Finally she agreed to not look at them until they got comfortable. Seemed like the writing was on the wall. And then when we won, there wasn't a DM who didn't come up to me afterwards and say, we heard you guys were unbelievable today. Congratulations.

, Bayonne 1982: Knowing the corps was angry about a few things and watching the performa

... and many have "blamed" Shirley for handing us the victory that day. We were first in M&M execution on side 2 that day by about a point.

I remember that show in Bayonne. As I remember it, we got a standing O coming onto the field from the Bayonne home town crowd. The ovation afterwards was simply amazing. I don't recall why we were angry but I do recall several inspiring speeches from our new M&M instructor.

The soprano line was simply amazing that year as was the rest of the horn line. I still think of the 82 season as the "Dream" season. It seemed so simple to just go out and "win".

I think the 84 corps was everybit as talented with that same burning desire the 82 corps had, maybe even more talented. Although, the season was not so "simple". The 84 corps had to fight and demonstrate reckless abandonment in its performances. There was absolutely no fear of making mistakes in that corps, it was always put it on the line if we wanted to hear "...and in 1st place".

Regardless, being able to experience that level of performance is simply incredible. Hopefully many in other corps get to experience that "high" of having those performances where when you are done you just think how lucky you are to be abe to experience something like that....knowing the corps as a whole "nailed" the show and to stand on the field at the end and listen to the crowd going nuts.

Edited by bd5times

I remember winning DCI east in 1977 with the Bridgemen and than returning in 2006 although we didnt compete the crowd response was the same ; )))

This old man got to relive a little bit of the past.......and doing it again this year.....I recommend that if any of you "old school" guys and gals thought of marching again DO IT !!!!!!!either with your corps alumni if they have one or join your second choice corps, its well worth the effort .

Winning the DCI Class A National Championship in on Franklin Field in 1975 as a member of the Greece Cadets.

What an amazing year that was....no one was expecting us to win or even knew who we were!

That's 'cuz Marquis didn't go....... ^0^