What's Your Biggest Thrill In Drum Corps

The rush hit several times in one night. The night was DCI finals, '76. At the end of the OTL, I looked up at the crowd. Franklin field in Philly was something special. It was stands stacked up, close to the field. None of this super sized stadium for baseball with spectators stretching for acres in all directions. They sat in a wall that seemed to go straight up from the near the field edge. I don't remember the size of that crowd, but I would guess 30k+, and they were vocal. When the results were announced at retreat. There was a certain enormity of the event.

San Bruno, CA '75, beating SCV for the first time. I can't remember the show, nor even the stadium, but I do remember the significance, and the feeling of beating the champions from the preceding two years. We were now contenders, whereas the previous year was the first that we had ever even been in finals. This was an organizational landmark of some significance. The pride of being part of it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know Myron Melnyck He taught our horn in Dutch Boy Cadets in 1976

then got a better offer from Seneca Optimist (better known around here as

Bananaheim)

ODBC

Hey, I've been in touch with Myron.... he says that he was a instructing mercenary that year, and loved it!!

Ya Sue, it wasn't that bad. He taught Dutch Boy Cadets until the summer came.

Then just before we leave for our U.S. Open, American International tour he bugs

off on us and goes to teach, I think Seneca Optimists. What a guy huh? <**>

Instructs us all season and just before we go on our major tour he's gone. :(

Well I guess he got a better offer, too bad because we had a pretty successful

time. Remember Butler Sue? HHHMMMMMM!!!!! <_<

Still he was alright. He brought our bass end up to where we were a lot better

than the year before. :P

Well I guess he got a better offer, too bad because we had a pretty successful

time. Remember Butler Sue? HHHMMMMMM!!!!! <_<

Yeah, yeah... we had to let you have one at least. Remember... we were the MEN and you were the BOYS.... long pants vs. short pants, need I go on? :sshh:

Correction, we were wearing long pants in competitions that year, so there!!!!

Does it really matter??

Obviously you guys had a bad show and we preceaded to kick your butt, OK it was only 3 or 4ths.

But boy did we party, that's why you beat us at finals. Period.

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

Ah, you know that I'm just yanking your chain Rob. Actually, one of my biggest thrills was marching off the field at Nationals in 1977 as one unit, Dutch Boys and Flying Dutchmen together as the new Northstars. That was one huge unit marching off the retreat field!!!!!

July 1986

Suncoast was touring the west coast, and we did something unthinkable at the time...we beat BD and SCV in brass at SCV's home show, and then again a few nights later in Concord at Pacific Procession.

In fact, Suncoast won brass every night in California that year.

Winning back to back Garden state Championships in 81 and 82. Making class "A" finals in 83, Miami.

Marching in Madison, hometown finals.

But as a spectator ?? Biggest thrill ?? "......and in second place, with a score of 97.70, The Cadets" !!!!!! Woo hoo !! Undefeated baby..Go BD !! LOL

~G~

My biggest thrill was having a fan ask me for my autograph. I was just... shocked.

When was that, Dave?

After finals someone asked for my gloves, but I was too distraught to answer civilly...I still have them, in fact...they're my practice gloves in Dream!

LOL, in Montreal, 1982. I bought one of the colorguard girls yellow "slave" chains for $5.....

~G~

You DID say you bought the chains and not the girl, right?

*ducks & runs*

LOL...how did I miss this ?? Yeah, it was the chain..though...nevermind. :silly:

~G~

AH, Sue that was 1976 Nationals. :silly:

That's OK Sue, you know I love ya, right? After what we went through in '77 with

what's his name!!

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet