What's Your Biggest Thrill In Drum Corps

My biggest thrill in drum corps happened at the American International in Butler,

PA. in the summer of 1976. It was our last year as the Dutch Boy Cadets and we

were going to merge with our cross town rivals the Flying Duchmen. It was my own personal goal to beat them in a show just once. Well we knew that we had made the finals in the "A" Class Division but we weren't sure what place we were in. I didn't care. Our drum major came running back to where we were practising,

he stayed behind to get the results, when he got to us he was winded took a few good big breaths and said "WE BEAT THE DUTCHMEN". I didn't care what place we came in, I yelled my head off. They were about the same age group as us but each corps had their own character. Although they beat us in the finals by two points, it was the proudest moments of my drum corps career. We came up to the corps gate to go on the field, and the were around the gate hollering and cheering us on. We wanted to show them we were not the little corps from across town any more but a corps that they should be looking at as a serious threat. Although this was probably a big joke to them, it's my biggest thrill. (And I LOVED every second of it. )

Edited by ODBC

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1970 Milwaukee. First time ever that we beat EVERYONE. And "everyone" was wondering "Who the 'heck' ARE these Guys?". Heh, couldn't have been sweeter...

My biggest thrill was having a fan ask me for my autograph. I was just... shocked.

My biggest thrill was having a fan ask me for my autograph. I was just... shocked.

When was that, Dave?

After finals someone asked for my gloves, but I was too distraught to answer civilly...I still have them, in fact...they're my practice gloves in Dream!

No question it had to be when we beat SCV in the first show in 1975, they being the 2-time defending DCI Champions, it was a state of euphoria.

A day later, we broke SCV's consectutive Hi Drum streak at 58.

It marked the official "coming out" for the Devils.

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

Besides being accepted into the Blue Devils A corps I've got two biggest thrills:

1) The night before 82 DCI Finals. I was so excited about the realization of what might happen at finals.

2) Walking into a concert hall in Japan, wading through a large crowd of people who came out to see us........eat dinner. We had no idea they were going to be there.....felt like being a rock star. This crowd stayed while we ate, then watched us rehearse and do a mini performance (in uniform).

Hey, BD Legend:

My second greatest thrill was having Wayne Downey come to Kitchener for our

camp we had in March of 1977. (everybody was saying "Who is this guy." I just

said "Keep your mouth shut and do what he tells you."

Do you know Myron Melnyck He taught our horn in Dutch Boy Cadets in 1976

then got a better offer from Seneca Optimist (better known around here as

Bananaheim)

ODBC

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

Hey, BD Legend:

My second greatest thrill was having Wayne Downey come to Kitchener for our

camp we had in March of 1977. (everybody was saying "Who is this guy." I just

said "Keep your mouth shut and do what he tells you."

Do you know Myron Melnyck He taught our horn in Dutch Boy Cadets in 1976

then got a better offer from Seneca Optimist (better known around here as

Bananaheim)

ODBC

yes, Myron was a member of our hornline in '76-'77.

When was that, Dave?

After finals someone asked for my gloves, but I was too distraught to answer civilly...I still have them, in fact...they're my practice gloves in Dream!

LOL, in Montreal, 1982. I bought one of the colorguard girls yellow "slave" chains for $5.....

~G~