What's Your Biggest Thrill In Drum Corps

My biggest thrill was having a fan ask me for my autograph. I was just... shocked.

When was that, Dave?

After finals someone asked for my gloves, but I was too distraught to answer civilly...I still have them, in fact...they're my practice gloves in Dream!

Well, it happened a few times during the summer but after finals was overwhelming. There were LOTS of kids and they were all asking for autographs and uniform parts -- gloves, shoes, cymbal straps -- ANYTHING. Like Rob said -- I felt like a rock star.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a proud member of the 27th Lancers - here goes.

1. Beating BD as a marching member (1976 DATR) and instructor (1980 DCI East).

2. Winning CYO Nationals at home as a marching member (1977) and as an instructor (1981).

Not many people can boast to doing either.

My biggest thrill was having a fan ask me for my autograph. I was just... shocked.

When was that, Dave?

After finals someone asked for my gloves, but I was too distraught to answer civilly...I still have them, in fact...they're my practice gloves in Dream!

LOL, in Montreal, 1982. I bought one of the colorguard girls yellow "slave" chains for $5.....

~G~

You DID say you bought the chains and not the girl, right?

*ducks & runs*

Being taught drill by none other George Zingali. Having him actually teach me how to march the proper way. Also playing music by Frank Dorritte, to me that was a treat. And wearing the 27th Lancers uniform before all the changes were made to it. That was thrilling to me! To play "Seahawk" and "Danny Boy", were very important moments to me as well...aw shucks...you get the point! :rolleyes:

Edited by Lancerlady

Proudly and humbly wearing Anderson plaid.

Taking the field for competition. The first starting gun. Getting the snare line playing cleanly after months of hard practice. Finishing a show utterly exhausted but proud.

Playing any arrangement by Ken Norman.

Playing the solo triplet roll on snare during Auld Lang Syne.

Hearing Auld Lang Syne's two sops nailing the high notes at the end of the show.

Winning Shriner's in 70 over 27th, Belleville, St. Joes of Batavia and others I can't recall.

Seeing that today's youth are as passionate about drum corps as we were back when - even if it IS different!

Edited by RobH

• 1 month later...

Two fellow bari's and myself had the same thing happen at Indy in '80.

Yeah, that was pretty cool.

Helping get my corps back into Finals in 1974. Teamwork/sacrifice/perseverance at its true essence . . .

The autographs, all years, having the best guard in the country-especially at finals; DATR 1976, CYO Nationals 77; staying at and meeting the people at Boys Town-and doing a show before the show for them; 1980 pre-tour to advertise drum corps-that honor was usually bestowed on drum majors only in those days; 1980 winning all regionals, especially East; being invited to do that very special interview with Zingali live from Birmingham.

Really and truly, they are just too numerous to mention. I guess it was a great run for me, with some major bumps in the road but in the end

2-7 was and is my heart. But when I think about it, and it was an instrutor who had to point this out to me after 1980 finals, and then again much later, it's the people and friends who have become family which are the most important and enduring.

For the people of 2-7, I believe they know what I mean, they are family and will always be!

You DID say you bought the chains and not the girl, right?

Wouldn't he have gotten change back from the $5 if he had bought the girl? :huh:

Hey, I couldn't let that one get buy and to be honest, I am not even sure what guard he is refering to.

:huh:

BD? :whip:

Oh, in that case, he wouldn't had to get his wallet out at all. b**bs

Hey, just kidding again. :huh: