Santa Clara 1984

'Course at least WE didn't fall down...we were happy SCV beat Garfield if we didnlt do it. (Sorry Dave!)

Are you serious? That is rather surprising. Along with SCV and Madison, Phantom's my favorite but I still would have rather Star or Cavies won a show, when I marched, than Phantom. It just got my goat when Phantom won! I would have thought BD would NEVER want SCV to win!

It would have been pretty cool if SCV got a 98.1 in 1984.

Uhhhh....nope!

But I thought you'd rather have SCV beat Garfield if BD couldn't?

Not at Nats if it put them ahead of us!!! At Whitewater we were still in the bonded-Californians mode, I think, so it was definitely wanting Garfield to lose, particularly from the 83 vets. By the time Nats came up, it was us or nothin...Phantom had a lot of hype that year, but the only corps were were really concerned with were Garfield and SCV...Phantom never even made a blip on our competitive radar screens...

I was in Atlanta in 84 and BD really threw down in finals. I thought they absolutly smoked Cadets that night. I bet the issue with SCV was probably a political situation. There was a lot of political #### flying in the early 80's. Remember, at one point the score was "west coast nine, mid-west one, east coast maybe ??" There were those in power that wanted the east coast to do well.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I was in Atlanta in 84 and BD really threw down in finals. I thought they absolutly smoked Cadets that night. I bet the issue with SCV was probably a political situation. There was a lot of political #### flying in the early 80's. Remember, at one point the score was "west coast nine, mid-west one, east coast maybe ??" There were those in power that wanted the east coast to do well.

??? Political ?? In which way ?? Against SCV ? or "for" SCV ???

I'mm curious on your take of things..and what you mean.

~G~

I was in Atlanta in 84 and BD really threw down in finals.

We had an incredible string of on fire performances leading up to Nats. We always felt we had a chance at the title. Garfield definitely helped make us better by constantly reminding us what it's going to take to beat them. We eventually did......just a week early, though :P

With respect to 84 SCV. I do know that quite a few of their vets from 83 opted out on marching 84 so they could do the Olympic band down in LA. Perhaps the pressure of Prelims got to them without those vets. I don't recall. Vanguard had a great corps that year, beating every corps on the field.

Edited by bd5times

Lansdale..I was there, it was hot....BD was on fire !!!!!

I can still vividly recall retreat that night. We always knew before scores were announced if we won or not. Nobody told us, but we always had look outs within the horn block watching the horn staff getting the sheets.

We changed horn seargants(sp) at every show, and each person knew to watch for the staff. At this show, the staff was giving hi-fives. This rippled through the horn block......so we knew before it was announced.

Winning is one thing. The endless rehearsals, constant second place announcements, knowing that we were capable, and the realization during those final two weeks that we were hitting levels of performance matched by 82.....we knew we were going to catch them. When it finally happened, it was an explosion of emotions.

It was like winning DCI that night. There were a few people that jumped about 10 feet in the air when the score was announced. The victory concert that night was probably the most intense and fun concert of the five years I marched in BD.

Putting Garfield in the position that we found ourselves in so many times that season. We knew they would be fired up and working to do their absolute best. We knew they were beatable and we knew, based on the performances leading up to Nats, performing under pressure situations was something we were used too. We attacked that performance with all we had. Just like Garfield, every member in the Blue Devils went home a champion. They got the title, all of our members got their captions (Percussion, Brass, Guard). Literally, two corps full of champions!

Regardless of win or lose......it was a great season with great competition and a season that included one of the all time great drum corps shows.

Edited by bd5times