Santa Clara 1984

1984 was my first experience with drum corps and I didn't go to Atlanta (being that I was in Jr. Scouts and we had our own stuff going on). Semi-Finals ended like this:

1. Garfield Cadets - 97.5

2. Blue Devils - 96.8

3. Phantom Regiment - 95.0

4. Santa Clara Vanguard - 93.5

5. Madison Scouts - 92.6

Santa Clara scored lower than they had scored two weeks before, when they scored a 95.2 on August 3rd. What happened? I always assumed they had a really off night, but looking at the recaps (thanx www.fromthepressbox.com) nothing appeared to be out of line. Can anyone that was there elaborate on SCV's performance.

They sure roared back in finals, with a 3.9 jump in their score.

1. Garfield Cadets - 98.0

2. Blue Devils - 97.9

3. Santa Clara Vanguard - 97.4

4. Phantom Regmeint - 95.6

5. Madison Scouts - 94.6

Pretty impressive. I would say this is probably my favorite top 5 ever. From the first note of Garfield to the awesome finale of Madison (better than 1995 IMO), I was in awe.

* I know you can't compare scores from two different shows, but for weeks they had been within tenths (above or below) Garfield and Blue Devils - so something happened in Semi's that dumped them 4 points behind Garfield. What was it?

Edited by gellio

Sorry, but I have no idea.

Do you guys have any reaction to their score and placement? I'm sure you were more worried about your performance, but it just sticks out to me. I remember hearing about it the next morning and thinking "what"?

Do you guys have any reaction to their score and placement? I'm sure you were more worried about your performance, but it just sticks out to me. I remember hearing about it the next morning and thinking "what"?

All I remember was setting up for the corps pictures they always took after prelims...

We're getting ready for the shot...the photog starts counting down...we hear Brandt Crocker's voice and hush up..."We have a score for the Vanguard..."

When we realized it was 3+ points, we just started chanting "BODY SLAM! BODY SLAM! BODY SLAM!" which was any point spread over 3. It took the poor photog forever to calm us down for the pic!

I suspect they just chose the wrong time to have a bad show and made it up at finals...that kind of a drop was NOT in character for SCV in 84. They were hammering us until Whitewater...

All I remember was setting up for the corps pictures they always took after prelims...

We're getting ready for the shot...the photog starts counting down...we hear Brandt Crocker's voice and hush up..."We have a score for the Vanguard..."

When we realized it was 3+ points, we just started chanting "BODY SLAM! BODY SLAM! BODY SLAM!" which was any point spread over 3. It took the poor photog forever to calm us down for the pic!

I suspect they just chose the wrong time to have a bad show and made it up at finals...that kind of a drop was NOT in character for SCV in 84. They were hammering us until Whitewater...

They hammered your butts in Whitewater too :P That is one of my favorite top 5 (as I said before). SCV sounds awesome on the recording, as does everyone. Loved Suncoast and Spirit too. Madison had my favorite finale that year. I get huge goosebumps everytime I listen to it at full blast.

It would have been pretty cool if SCV got a 98.1 in 1984. Can you imagine....2 tenths separating the top 3 - plus a 4th to 1st would have been kewl.

Phantom Regiment was outstanding as I recall. They hit every set, every note, everything was perfect about their performance. They may have peaked that night as their finals performance, for me, was not as emotional as Semis.........SCV, however was really sharp on finals night, like they kicked it up a notch after falling to Phantom.....

I still recall the crispeness, the perfection of Phantom Regiments drill on Semis night....unbelievable.

~G~

The only show I saw in '84 was Whitewater, but man, did I play the crud out of the LP's!

Top to bottom, it's hard to beat '84 for pure excitement, and every corps had such radically diverse style, sound, approach. I think it was cool when you would hear a drumline warming up, or hornline in arc and be able to identify them from sound well before you could see them. I'm not sure that's the case anymore, especially with drumlines.

If you are marching now and haven't heard these shows, check 'em out!!!

Phantom Regiment was outstanding as I recall. They hit every set, every note, everything was perfect about their performance. They may have peaked that night as their finals performance, for me, was not as emotional as Semis.........SCV, however was really sharp on finals night, like they kicked it up a notch after falling to Phantom.....

I still recall the crispeness, the perfection of Phantom Regiments drill on Semis night....unbelievable.

~G~

Wish I could have seen their drill. I don't remember any of the visuals from that year. I loved Regiment's opener that year - very cool stuff. As a classical music lover, I must say that I loath 1812 Overture though. If I never hear it again, it will be too soon. I love Tchaikovsky though and it cracks me up that he called 1812 "bombastic". It's sort of true. On that note, I really wish Regiment would do a whole show on Tchai's 'The Sleeping Beauty' - one of his best works.

The only show I saw in '84 was Whitewater, but man, did I play the crud out of the LP's!

Top to bottom, it's hard to beat '84 for pure excitement, and every corps had such radically diverse style, sound, approach. I think it was cool when you would hear a drumline warming up, or hornline in arc and be able to identify them from sound well before you could see them. I'm not sure that's the case anymore, especially with drumlines.

If you are marching now and haven't heard these shows, check 'em out!!!

Thank you, thank you....although marching a day show sucked...we were pretty flat.

'Course at least WE didn't fall down...we were happy SCV beat Garfield if we didnlt do it. (Sorry Dave!)