Santa Clara 1984

Just thinking here, but maybe in August when the champions show comes to the Bay Area an alumni cruise for the two corps could be arranged around the events planned?

Boy that would be fun!

Sign me up! ^OO^

Wow - very cool story Morgan - thanks! Good stuff!

It is amazing reading about your thoughts and experiences in 84 as my own feelings from 1987 mirror them. The disappointment following prelims and the way we responded with a collective determination and confidence that I cannot not articulate nearly as well as you. Heck, we even experienced a tremendous problem similiar to your experience in 1984. As we were about to begin our warmup we looked around and realized something was missing. We had no drumline! :o

And your snare line was so, so, SOOOOOO lucky the guy next to Lee Rudnicki had hair the exact same shade as the hat he'd LOST on the way to the stadium! it took me nearly 20 years to realize it!

I mean, of all times to lose your headgear....

Even so, GR and the rest of the staff (perhaps mindful of retreat in 83--but that's another thread...) stressed that a certain amount of animosity might be natural, but that directing it at individuals was foolish and wouldn't be tolerated.

this thread has been absolutely amazing. so many great stories and so much insight that i had never known before...but its brought up a few questions as well.

First, what happened at retreat in 83?

Second, why did so many leave SC for BD between 1983 and 1984?

Thanks!

It was closer to two dozen, just look at the SCV 83 drumline and you can see most of the faces in the 84 BD line.

Those players must have been pretty darn good to go from SCV's matched grip snare line to BD's traditional grip line. And then win drums to boot!

Sure, most people can play both ways, but I know I play one way (traditional grip) much better. It is very impressive to me that some of those folks switched grips and performed in two excellent drum lines.

• 2 weeks later...
It was closer to two dozen, just look at the SCV 83 drumline and you can see most of the faces in the 84 BD line.

Those players must have been pretty darn good to go from SCV's matched grip snare line to BD's traditional grip line. And then win drums to boot!

Sure, most people can play both ways, but I know I play one way (traditional grip) much better. It is very impressive to me that some of those folks switched grips and performed in two excellent drum lines.

Some of the drummers were in 27th before they went to SCV. I know one guy in particular (Tom used to call him Manson) had marched base drum with SCV and then went to snare for BD, but he had started out with 27th.

In fact, Dave Glyde was one of them that made the move.

And if you look at the end of the 84 BD show there's a shot of the blonde mallet player. She came from SCV also.

Edited by jbl

Some of the drummers were in 27th before they went to SCV. I know one guy in particular (Tom used to call him Manson) had marched base drum with SCV and then went to snare for BD, but he had started out with 27th.

And if you look at the end of the 84 BD show there's a shot of the blonde mallet player. She came from SCV also.

I didn't know Mike Lore ("Manson") was in 27th! The things you find out 2 decades later!

Nor did I know that Peggy Watson was from SCV. She married John Steaveson from the sop line. Still hitched as far as I know...

I remember Peggy as being a VERY quiet young lady.

I didn't know Mike Lore ("Manson") was in 27th! The things you find out 2 decades later!

Nor did I know that Peggy Watson was from SCV. She married John Steaveson from the sop line. Still hitched as far as I know...

I remember Peggy as being a VERY quiet young lady.

Peggy quiet? You didn't ride in a car with her.

Yeah Loree and Joe White both had been with 27th.

Last I heard from John and Peggy was that they were together in Arizona raising dogs.

Edited by jbl

Quick correction - a body slam is a margin of victory that is 2.7 or higher.

The term was coined after the Showdown at Warhawk in 1979.

Gee, I guess since it was only 2.65, it doesn't count as a body slam. (89.25 to 86.60).

Not only does not qualify as a "body slam" it was a JOKE! Especially considering 2 days later it looked something like this:

BD 87.70

PR 87.50

Rocketman - No Body Slam, just judging bias

ampssuck

• 19 years later...

Jeff nailed it. Yes we were late and rushed.  It was an incredible year that I often think about almost 40 years later. While I would love a ring, a year with this group was special.  Living in middle America, I’ve only seen Pam at the sluice trailer in 40 years but I think about you all, all the time.