One Hit Wonders

Not intended to be mean in any way, shape, or form, but, Southwind.

On the cusp of Finals in 2000 (don't wanna say threshold, since that's the show that they lost to), but have declined severely the last couple seasons.

So you apparently didn't see Southwind 2005? While not 13th place, they have made leaps and bounds since 2001- 2003. And not to be mean in any way, shape, or form, but Capital Regiment has placed how high? Hmmmmm...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you apparently didn't see Southwind 2005? While not 13th place, they have made leaps and bounds since 2001- 2003.

I'm confused. The 16th place corps from 2005 made "leaps and bounds" over the 15th place corps from 2001?

I think when things are put into perspective, the '05 show will be seen as group eophoria over the corps' ability to survive a tough time. It wasn't a great artistic accomplishment over 01-04 by any means.

I'll throw one out...

The LI Kingsmen. They went from 21st in 79 to 16th in 80 with more talent than you could imagine. what a hornline! the corps was on the verge of taking the next step..

but....and here is where the story changes (and I get flamed) it wasn't poor management!! the management of the corps was rock steady for years...but when the corps finally showed some real success, the management that had kept this organization together for years was no longer good enough for some. egos got in the way and the corps floundered the entire winter of 81.

take a look around the top 12 of 1981 there were soloists and lead players all over the place because they wanted to march. I know Bridgemen had a bunch, some to 27, some to Crossmen, Garfield, Troopers, the list goes on and on. what a shame :(

John;

Thanks for remembering us. And thanks for setting the record straight. My Dad was the founder and Executive Director of the corps from 1964-1980. We improved every year of our existence except one. We were completely debt-free, owned our own busses, all our equipment and uniforms at the end of 1980 (during which we beat Garfield a few weeks before finals). We had over (160) prospective new members for 1981 from all over the country and had already arranged some significant sponsorships for the next year. And then a group of people who had never run anything bigger than a little league baseball team decided they could do a better job, got a totally clueless judge to agree with them, and proceeded to destroy a seventeen year old corps in less than 12 months. All of the best members went off to the corps you mentioned, with the last aging out at the 1987 Finals with the Sky Ryders (my cousin).

Fortnately, there are now some of our alumni involved in trying to restart the activity on L.I. LIMA. I really hope they can make it happen.

I remember the LI Kingsmen well. Watching the Kingsmen grow from Garden State Champions to one that had certain DCI finalst status written all over them. They were definatelyt one of the bright spots that came from LI and the east coast...

not sure if they were on the list or not - but if not I would add the Florida Wave to the list, 13th in 1987. Would also add the Marauders, got up to as hgh as 16th or 17th then just fell away and disappeared.

As a member of the Malden Diplomats I must say that all the corps we are mentioning were fighting it out in the early '80's. Dutch Boy, Florida Wave and Marauders. I guess we made each other that much better. Can I say that I had a hand in making the Blue Coats as good as they are now ?

So you apparently didn't see Southwind 2005? While not 13th place, they have made leaps and bounds since 2001- 2003. And not to be mean in any way, shape, or form, but Capital Regiment has placed how high? Hmmmmm...

well how could he have seen Southwind 2005? he wrote this a year and 4 months before the 2005 season??

Edited by johnric

John;

Thanks for remembering us. And thanks for setting the record straight. My Dad was the founder and Executive Director of the corps from 1964-1980. We improved every year of our existence except one. We were completely debt-free, owned our own busses, all our equipment and uniforms at the end of 1980 (during which we beat Garfield a few weeks before finals). We had over (160) prospective new members for 1981 from all over the country and had already arranged some significant sponsorships for the next year. And then a group of people who had never run anything bigger than a little league baseball team decided they could do a better job, got a totally clueless judge to agree with them, and proceeded to destroy a seventeen year old corps in less than 12 months. All of the best members went off to the corps you mentioned, with the last aging out at the 1987 Finals with the Sky Ryders (my cousin).

Fortnately, there are now some of our alumni involved in trying to restart the activity on L.I. LIMA. I really hope they can make it happen.

Well Dave, I was one of those prospective members. I did go on to march in 1981 with The Kingsmen and I really did have a great time. Unfortunately the drum corps end of it was not quite what I had hoped for that year, but it did give me the experience I needed to go on to march Bayonne for 4 years.

Who knows what could have happened though?

not sure if they were on the list or not - but if not I would add the Florida Wave to the list, 13th in 1987. Would also add the Marauders, got up to as hgh as 16th or 17th then just fell away and disappeared.

Florida Wave was actually a continuation of the Greater Miami Boys Corps started in 1933. As GMBDBC, Miami/Florida Vanguards and Wave, the corps flirted with national recognition several times in the pre and post DCI eras.

That said, we were all very excited by what the members of '87 Wave accomplished. It was even sweeter given that Vanguards alum Jo Wessman directed the corps. I believe she was one of the 1st women directors of a DCI D1 corps.