One Hit Wonders

Well, I decided to go to the basement to search the ol' drum corps archives and the Auburn Black Watch and Pembroke Imperials kept popping up--anybody familiar with these corps and could give us a little history and show these guys some love?? :blink:

The Imperials were from Pembroke, MA, south of Boston from 66-82. 72 DCI- 17th, 1973 VFW champions and the silver drum trophy for highest drum score. In 74 they won the American Legion and Mayflower state championships, 7th at DCI East, and were the best corps in New England that year, defeating such units as the Boston Crusaders, Beverly Cardinals and 27th Lancers. In 75 the ranks were decimated by age-outs, but lots of pride kept it going. A very talented corps from a very small community without big city resources to draw from. I marched with the feeder corps (class c/b) from 72-75 before marching with the big kids in 76 and 77. Placed 9th at the 76 VFW's in NY, 7th at DCI class A. We were making that transition from a more traditional style to the newer DCI style when we ran out of money and could not go to DCI in 77. Wasn't a good time for us and we basically folded after that. The feeder corps survived until 82. We are currently reforming and will be doing a number of programs from mini-corps at DCA this year and also planning on a possible winterguard, both color guard and percussion for our younger members in 2006. Check out the big band sound of 74, then check out the same songs from Madison Scouts in 75. www.pathwayproductions.org/imperials.htm

Dennis ONeill snareline-76-77

Percussion instructor-present

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who were heading for the limelight for a few seasons, but then faded away!!!!

for example, '74 Purple Lancers, '75 Royal Crusaders etc..

Or,  give a nod to the memory of corps that were consistently good. but just couldn't crack the higher echelon (that old, "with 30 more members they'd be AWESOME!!!!!" thing)

for example  Watkins Glen Squires, Osage Presicionnaires, etc.

Blue Devil Legend, I know you'll represent for Royal Commodores......

I'm going to have to say '76 Marquis......midwest vets, I'm sure you can remember back in the day.........................

As someone who competed against Marquis in TWO different corps and couldn't beat em', I have to begrudgingly give them props! :blink: (Although in the earlier years I think we may have got ya once or twice)

They always did have a nice corps and really looked like they were on their way to

"The Big Time" It was a long time ago-Tell me Z, what happened with them to cause their demise? Was it the the same old sad tale that we've heard from so many other Mid-West corps or did something else happen? Just curious.

It's funny that you mention Osage-I marched(as a Contra no less!) with them in 76, their last year(I killed TWO corps that year!) I hooked up with them in Toledo after the Glassmen called it quits in July.

It was an interesting 3 weeks. The corps had left for tour with 25 horns and we marched a full corps at DCI in Philly. Everywhere they went they picked up people.

We stayed in Wilmington Del. for DCI,and even had some Blue Rock vets come out and watch rehearsal-next thing ya knew they were marching! THAT was truly a corps that if we would have had another week or two to get the show really cleaned up ,may very well have made finals.

Unfortunatly, 76 was the last year they fielded a corps. :(

Edited by Bob Brady

who were heading for the limelight for a few seasons, but then faded away!!!!

for example, '74 Purple Lancers, '75 Royal Crusaders etc..

Or,  give a nod to the memory of corps that were consistently good. but just couldn't crack the higher echelon (that old, "with 30 more members they'd be AWESOME!!!!!" thing)

for example  Watkins Glen Squires, Osage Presicionnaires, etc.

Blue Devil Legend, I know you'll represent for Royal Commodores......

I'm going to have to say '76 Marquis......midwest vets, I'm sure you can remember back in the day.........................

Geneseo Knights, Wausau Story, San Jose Raiders, Les Eclipse

How's that?

There was one corps who was on the threshhold of the top 12 for four years and actually did make the top 12 in 1990, Dutch Boy!!!

They were consistently there but could never get the extra point to put them in the top 12, the most underrated corps from 1987-91, as far as I'm concerned!!!

I'm a bit bias sure who wouldn't be, a corps that was so entertaining, something that alludes a lot of the top corps, IMHO, a corps with so much spirit!!! B)

I'll throw one out...

The LI Kingsmen. They went from 21st in 79 to 16th in 80 with more talent than you could imagine. what a hornline! the corps was on the verge of taking the next step..

but....and here is where the story changes (and I get flamed) it wasn't poor management!! the management of the corps was rock steady for years...but when the corps finally showed some real success, the management that had kept this organization together for years was no longer good enough for some. egos got in the way and the corps floundered the entire winter of 81.

take a look around the top 12 of 1981 there were soloists and lead players all over the place because they wanted to march. I know Bridgemen had a bunch, some to 27, some to Crossmen, Garfield, Troopers, the list goes on and on. what a shame :(

It was a long time ago-Tell me Z, what happened with them to cause their demise? Was it the the same old sad tale that we've heard from so many other Mid-West corps or did something else happen?

You know, I spent two days wondering how I could manage to express what happened, and then I realize you've covered it. There are probably so many of the same histories covered with the 13-25th place corps over the years, and all of their demises, that to cover it one more time would hardly be productive......

All I can say is that I mourn the losses of ALL of the second-tier corps. :(

The activity is not better off without them.

what a shame :(

Amen to that, brother.

Edited by uncle z

I would have to say Osage and the St. Croix Rivermen. Osage had alot of old St. Paul Scouts Staff and alot of old SPS in there corps RIP

"Cambridge Caballeros":

1957 to 1962.  Boston based junior corps with a Spanish motif.  Taught by Norman Prine alum Al Saia and Hawthorne Caballeros Hugo Evarelli (talk about a 'comute').  In their short history they carved out quite a reputation for themselves beating almost all of the powers of the day and placing fourth at the 1961 VFW Nationals.

They can be heard on Fleetwoods 1959/60 "Corps Aplenty", 1962 Carnagie Hall and VFW Nationals Albums from 1961 and 1962.

Elphaba

Was Ike Ianessa the drum major of the Cambridge Cabs?

I can't remember now, I remember being told he was the drum major of ? when I was approximately 9, so it's not like it's new info I should remember, so go easy!!

And Wally Curtis, who knows Wally Curtis (not Cox), anyone out there? He was one of my favorites as a little girl.....very early drill writer for 2-7 I think (oh my warranty is gone!)...I believe that was his name....drmr27 would remember these I'm sure...especially Wally!

Edited by LancerFi

Sorry your going to hide behind the the story your instructors told you (to make you feel better)

MOOSE1978

I would like to add my 27 cents to this. Nothing to do with specifics of your particular story, but I'm not surprised when I think back at what staffs told corps.

In recent years, I've heard some real doozies, I believe it may either have been to have the corps not give up (which in Phantoms' case would not be the case), or to give a section more confidence if their staff felt they fell short of what they could accomplish.

I know what it's like to be in a corps that was originally a feeder corps with very, very talented members, but not enough members and a good staff....only to end up in Division 1 and maybe 3 or 4 points behind our original senior corps.

However I don't see what your seeing, I believe Rocketman is telling you what he was told as a member. I also don't believe Rocketman has anything to prove. But when you're a kid, not all kids, but most believe every word that their staff tells them, conspiracy theories and all! I also don't believe Rocketman has anything to hide, or needs to hide behind anything....he accomplished what he accomplished. As did your corps, that is a big accomplishment and you should be proud, as it seems you are!

You can take this for what it's worth, absolutely -0- as they say about opinions.....

I'm sure your corps was fabulous, as was the original corps I was in. It was no big leap to see that 27th was 20th in 74, turned it around in one year to 4th after 31 of our members went to 2-7. Along with a new drill writer, everything seemed to gel wonderfully.

Anyway props to you and your win over Phantom.

Edited by LancerFi

I'm going to say....

THE HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS!!!

They were on to something...

Or on something...