One Hit Wonders

The Imperials were from Pembroke, MA, south of Boston from 66-82. 72 DCI- 17th, 1973 VFW champions and the silver drum trophy for highest drum score. In 74 they won the American Legion and Mayflower state championships, 7th at DCI East, and were the best corps in New England that year, defeating such units as the Boston Crusaders, Beverly Cardinals and 27th Lancers. In 75 the ranks were decimated by age-outs, but lots of pride kept it going. A very talented corps from a very small community without big city resources to draw from. I marched with the feeder corps (class c/b) from 72-75 before marching with the big kids in 76 and 77. Placed 9th at the 76 VFW's in NY, 7th at DCI class A. We were making that transition from a more traditional style to the newer DCI style when we ran out of money and could not go to DCI in 77. Wasn't a good time for us and we basically folded after that. The feeder corps survived until 82. We are currently reforming and will be doing a number of programs from mini-corps at DCA this year and also planning on a possible winterguard, both color guard and percussion for our younger members in 2006. Check out the big band sound of 74, then check out the same songs from Madison Scouts in 75. www.pathwayproductions.org/imperials.htm

Dennis ONeill snareline-76-77

Percussion instructor-present

Yes indeed, a very good and often overlooked corps. My memory of the Imperials goes back to 1974. We had just returned from DCI and feeling pretty good about ourselves for not only making it back into finals after the disaster of 73 but actually moving up some. Our last big show was to be VFW Nationals in Chicago. We fully expected to snooze through prelims and finals and take home a trophy just for showing up. Then started to hear some rumours about this corps and that they were pretty darn good and of course would love nothing better than to take a nationals right in our own home town. At that time we had to change parts of our show to conform to VFW rules and started to realize that there would be no snoozing if we wanted to win this show. I don't remember seeing them prior to the VFW Parade but it became clear that they would be gunning for us. I remember a buddy of mine saying "we are supposed to beat these guys right?". Well, I don't remember the final score but we did win Nationals that year. However, the attitude some of us had about the "Imperials of Where?" changed dramatically after that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Dave, I was one of those prospective members. I did go on to march in 1981 with The Kingsmen and I really did have a great time. Unfortunately the drum corps end of it was not quite what I had hoped for that year, but it did give me the experience I needed to go on to march Bayonne for 4 years.

Who knows what could have happened though?

I remember seeing the corps in 1981, after hearing terrible rumors all winter and I must say that I thought the corps did a great job, considering that I expected to see much worse based on what was being said. A classy corps nonethe less.

Defenders, Rockland Mass

I'll 2nd that Dave.

From 78-82 I thought you guys put some of the prettiest shows on the field.

I'll give my corps a little push as well.

Undefeated in EMASS and CYO in '79 including a WO title.

'80 we joined up with the kids from Malden who pulled out of Royal Marquis and George Parks came in from UMASS to write our drill and brought a few of his kids as well.

29th our first and only year in the show barely 5 points out of 22nd place.

Drum line took 17th in the prelims.

Alas like many young corps M&M did us in.

We were so young...

Average ages:

Guard - 15

Drums - 18

Horns - 17

If things had kept together we might have done some damage.

Many, many Massachusetts corps were incredible, and are long forgotten.

St. Kevin's Emerald Knights

Debonnaires of Norwood

Beverly Cardinals (along with I.C. Reveries and Blue Angels - Became North Star) I don't consider North Star a one hit wonder - they were competitive at least 3 years. Cardinals at US Open in 197? playing Fanfare for the New (Stan Kenton) totally blew me away !!! Think Rick Connor arranged it. Totally AWESOME!!!!!

From the East!

Purple Lancers

Watkins Glen Squires

Avant Garde (Jazz and class!)

St. Rita's Brassmen

Blue Rock (was that a Ralph Pace corps??)

From the midwest

Des Plaines Vanguard (Age of Aquarius)

When Santa Clara came East, we called DPV "Just Plain Vanguard". But, I loved their style.

Racine Scouts - The "Chrome Domes"

From the West

Seattle Imperials (was that Stanley Knaub's debut?)

Random:

Oshkosh Warriors

CMCC Warriors

The Thing

The Killmen (Best name award)

Oakland Crusaders

Seneca Optimists

St. Ignatius all girls

Ventures

5th Maine Regiment the year they re-inacted Linoln's assassination

and a kudo to the Spartans and EC Jazz for consistant domination

Blue Star and Troopers

my mom and God

LOL

From the West

Stockton Commodores

Nesei Ambassadors

Still managed to produce Stan Knaub in his first full field corps instructing job (what was he, 18 then?), and Wayne Bergeron of Big Phat Band fame came out of there as did 72 Anaheim Kingsmen snare drummer Lance Kellog and Drum Major Jim Good, and Willie Polacek, a legendary local percussionist and judge. Tom Float came out of The Diplomats.....

RON HOUSLEY

Ron,

Interesting about your mention of Wayne Bergeron and the Lynnwood Diplomats. Do you know anything about his later association with Kanstul? I recently purchased a Kanstul 1600 "Wayne Bergeron" model trumpet (while at DCI this summer in Boston). It is a sweet instrument which I am enjoying playing.

Not sure if they've been mentioned yet, but...

The Polish Falcon Cadets (NJ)

The Woodridge Edison Saints (NJ)

The PAL Cadets (Philadelphia).... :worthy: I had to.....

• 1 month later...
That's easy...Tom Hanks.

"Open Auditons for the Part of "Zingali"":

The list should include:

Tom Hanks

Jim Carey

Steve Martin

"Cheech" Marin

Russell Crowe

Any of them could do justice to the character.

Elphaba