The DCI Yearlys: 1972

Hi All - Being that I found the 'Santa Clara 1984' thread so interesting, I thought I would start yearlys threads. I think we could do one year from the 70's, 80's, and 90's each week, and tack on the 2000's at the end.

My experience with drum corps began in 1984 and I would just like to hear from those who experienced drum corps during different years, whether member, staff, support, or spectator. I think it is fun to talk about the "old days" and learn things about them you may have never known (like the 'Santa Clara 1984' thread).

So, I am hoping that all of you that experienced drum corps in 1972 will share your memories. Next week, I will start a 1971 thread and move through the 70's each following week.

Hi All - Being that I found the 'Santa Clara 1984' thread so interesting, I thought I would start yearlys threads. I think we could do one year from the 70's, 80's, and 90's each week, and tack on the 2000's at the end.

My experience with drum corps began in 1984 and I would just like to hear from those who experienced drum corps during different years, whether member, staff, support, or spectator. I think it is fun to talk about the "old days" and learn things about them you may have never known (like the 'Santa Clara 1984' thread).

So, I am hoping that all of you that experienced drum corps in 1972 will share your memories. Next week, I will start a 1971 thread and move through the 70's each following week.

I marched baritone in the Cadets that year, my last marching year.

After 71, where we were pretty good, Garfield had let go our drum and brass staff. A LOT of the drum line and horn line quit in support, with many drummers going to the Cabs, where our instructor, George Tuthill, was still teaching. I went too, as a tri-tom player, but I decided to return to Garfield in late fall. I switched to horn, as I was a music ed major and had brass class coming up the next fall. Plus I would have felt like a traitor to George if I had played drums (was I ever that young???).

72 ended up being a year of VERY young members, with a staff of Don Angelica on brass and Fred Sanford (who WAS that new guy, anyway??? :rolleyes: ) on percussion, and Bobby Hoffman and Pete Emmons on drill.

We had a VERY forward-looking show with concert band and orchestral music, but it was way too far ahead of it's time, and we were marginal in skills. Would have come in 9th at DCI prelims, but a 1.8 penalty kepat us out of finals by 0.05!!! :(

Still, it was a very good year for the members. we had a lot of fun performing a great program.

Mike

"1972":

The National Champions

Juniors:

DCI: Anahiem Kingsmen

CYO: Anahiem Kingsmen

US Open: Anahiem Kingsmen

World Open: Racine Kilties

VFW: Chicago Cavaliers

American Legion: Argonne Rebels

Shriners International: 27th Lancers

Seniors:

DCA: Hawthorne Caballeros

American Legion: Rochester Crusaders

National Dream: New York Skyliners

Most vivid memory: First DCI Finals retreat. The downpour as the top three placements were about to be announced.

Elphaba

I remember 1974. I last marched in 1966 and had been out of touch with drum corps for a few years when a friend of mine told me about DCI having been formed. With the championship being held in Ithaca NY that year and since De La Salle, my old junior corps, was competing we decided to take it in. The show was amazing. But what I really remember was the ruckus backfield when the Muchachos were disqualified.

Quote>>>>>>>I remember 1974. I last marched in 1966 and had been out of touch with drum corps for a few years when a friend of mine told me about DCI having been formed. With the championship being held in Ithaca NY that year and since De La Salle, my old junior corps, was competing we decided to take it in. The show was amazing. But what I really remember was the ruckus backfield when the Muchachos were disqualified. <<<<<<<<<

Muchachos were disqualified in 75 in Phili. Sorry no ruccus at Ithica. 74 was the best of the best

Edited by BariBrian

After winning American Legion in '70 and VFW in '71, we were more than determined to prove that SCV wasn't just some "Rinky-Dink, flash in the pan, Corps from California" that some Drum Corps "afficionados" thought we were. From the beginning, the expectations and pressures were high, the competition was fierce and the battles hard fought.

Unfortunately, come finals night, we petered out for reasons I still can't explain. I remember being terribly sad because it was the last show for many of the "original" members who had been a part of SCV since inception in '67. And this may not be sporting, but I was also glad that the skys opened up and we didn't have to stand at retreat to hear "3rd place". The good news was we went on with a fierce determination to be better in '73 and that is what we accomplished... The best year ever for SCV IMHO.

Mike, What was the penalty for? I did not know that happened to Garfield that year!! :(

I wish I could remember. I saw the recap recently on fromthepressbox and it brought back the memory, but WHAT is was for I just can't remember.

Maybe flag violations???

Mike

Maggie-- 1972 was the year that I lived with a bunch of SCV players.....Wayne Downey was still in SCV uniform and was a frequent visitor at our house. The late Stan Knaub lived there along with people associated today with SCV alumni corps.

(I was up there teaching Mandarin with Stan Knaub early in the year and also working Redwood City PAL Guardsmen's small line.)

I remember hearing "Tchaikovsky's 4th --Finale" at SCV rehearsals.....lead sops started on a double high C ( on G bugle with one horizontal valve)...totally blew me away!!

For "Brass Roots" watchers, this gets discussed at the table......!

I moved up there to learn from "the Master," Gail Royer, whom I'd known--as well as SoCal guys could--since 67 and, being the rookie arranger that I was (still am!), I can remember being so intimidated by Mr. Royer's abilities that I would sit on one end of the bench in front of the field as he sat on the other working on scores, that I had great difficulty engaging him in conversation......not his fault, strictly my awe!

1972 was also the year that Santa Clara played an arrangement of mine (Bartolino's 'Canzon a 30') at the winter concert at Santa Clara Mission.

Wayne Downey came over to me after the gig and told me that he liked my chart better than his own "Wm. Byrd Suite." Considering how it all turned out and how great Wayne got at his own craft, his comment alone is a shining diamond in my drum corps memory.

72 is also the year I left NorCal for "Adventures in The Unknown Interior Of America" ($$ to Cabeza DeVaca for the title usage) that lasted until my return to California in 1985.

Yes.......like on the other thread.....Badgerland RULES!! Nice to be home, but I have great memories of Wisconsin.

But 72! Getting word up in the high country of Colorado that my Kingsmen had taken the first DCI Championships!

What a great year!

RON HOUSLEY

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to the Muchachos disqualified, wasn't there a soprano soloist play the charge of the bulls at finals from the back stands and didn't the crowd go nuts? I wasn't there but thats what I had heard.

Could someone that was there please elaberate!!! ^_^