13th and down

I have always wonderd. Do folks from the top twelve corps have any corps. that they like, that didn't make the finals? As A member of Avant Garde, I have liked many corps that were not of our caliber, because they were original, bold, or one section or another really stood out. I would always buy the entire set of DCI's :rolleyes: to hear those corps. again. So,,, any of you old DCI top 12'vers ever do that? Favorite corps if any?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost always have a favorite hanging out somewhere between 13 and 16... For in a while in the late 80s it was Dutch Boy, Avant Garde, Geneseo Knights, Florida Wave, etc.

Lately there are a lot of really good corps in that bracket, Capitol Regiment, Colts etc.

Some of my favorite shows were not finalist shows. Some very good shows go under the radar. Here is a list of some of mine, even though most are old shows.

Boston Crusaders '78

Offensive Lions '78

Crossmen '79, '83

Defenders '81

Memphis Blues '81

Troopers '82, '83

Geneseo Knights '82, '83

Avant Garde '83

Dutch Boy '87

Southwind '00

This isn't all of them, but as you can see, there are many good shows that didn't make DCI Finals.

Edited by Jd83

I guess not many have judging from the amount of viewers to the amount of responses :wall:

BariBrian, don't let the "few numbers" of post discourage you. There are many of us who feel the real competition sometimes is in that bottom half 13-16. Don't forget, I too know what it is like to come in 13th as my corps did in 1979. We never dreamed it would happen after placing in the top 8 all year long! That's OK....we got back on target the very next year.

BariBrian, don't let the "few numbers" of post discourage you. There are many of us who feel the real competition sometimes is in that bottom half 13-16. Don't forget, I too know what it is like to come in 13th as my corps did in 1979. We never dreamed it would happen after placing in the top 8 all year long! That's OK....we got back on target the very next year.

And What a year that was! But weren't those long capes hot?

Avant Garde 84 is one of my favorite shows. Now if I can just transfer my cassettes to CD I'll be able to listen to it more.

I've got a few, in no particular order...

1986-1989 Dutch Boy

1986 Les Eclipes

1986 27th Lancers

1986 Marauders

1987 Colts

1987 Florida Wave

1988 Crossmen

1988 Freelancers

1989 Sky Ryders

1989 Spirit of Atlanta

1990 Troopers

1990 Freelancers

1990 Blue Knights

1991 Spirit of Atlanta

1992 Glassmen

1992 Southwind

1993 Boston Crusaders

1994 Boston Crusaders

1994 Velvet Knights

1995 Boston Crusaders

1996 Pioneer

1997 Pioneer

Bunch of others but my mind is stuck right now.

And What a year that was! But weren't those long capes hot?

I only wore the cape in '79 as the guard went to a new style of uniform in 1980 without the cape. But that summer of '79 wearing it, wasn't that bad. It was a polyester type material...so it was light weight and easy to clean. Also in '79 they weren't as long as they were in'78. Judges complained that they couldn't see the feet ...duh! So the staff cut them to calf length....previous year, it was all the way down to the ankle. I kelpt some the piece that was cut off of my cape....don't know why, just did.

Edited by Malibu