13th and down

Judges complained about not seeing your feet?? Imagine that LOL!Well they were great capes and I enjoyed Crossman very much from 78 on! Some of the corps. that I really enjoyed were some of OUR biggest compitition. I know, I know its terrible. Almost a sin. I enjoyed the atmosphere of compitition and each and every corps had something to bring to the show even the so called smaller corps. Its nice to know that you folks out there felt the same. Perhaps if DCI had realized that it was just as important to treat these crops as well as the elite, perhaps more of them would still be around. In saying that, the list of corps. in my mind that were fav's are to numorous to actually list. Let me say this. If you, the reader, marched in a drum corps. that marched in the 60's 70's or 80's, chances are I saw you at one point or another and I enjoyed your corps. very much. Sounds corny but it's how I have always felt. I would love to see a resurgence of all the corps. that have vanished from that time period.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geneseo Knight in 1983!!! OOOOO YAH!!

And VK in 1993...

Yeah, I'll go with '83 Knights. I'd add '83 VK and Crossmen to that as well.

In many cases top twelve corps don't often get to see 13th place corps and those farther out, so it would be hard for those members to have opinions of the lower echelon corps.

I still say that '82 Suncoast Sound deserved a place in the top twelve that year. I guess I'll just have to settle for being one of the best 13th place corps to ever compete.

In many cases top twelve corps don't often get to see 13th place corps and those farther out, so it would be hard for those members to have opinions of the lower echelon corps.

I still say that '82 Suncoast Sound deserved a place in the top twelve that year.  I guess I'll just have to settle for being one of the best 13th place corps to ever compete.

So Russell, are you saying that these corps. don't even listen to 13 and down on the albums? It seems to me given the touring situation in todays drum & bugle corps. schedules, that the upper corps. would get plenty of oppurtunity to view the "Lower echelon" at one point or another.

Not at all. I was referring to real time during the summer tour.

As an example, when I marched in SCV, we were usually the last corps or the second to last corps to perform at every show we were in so I did not get to see hardly ANY other corps that year. I was ecstatic to get to see DCI live from our hotel in Philly (we got to watch the 12th-6th place corps on t.v. from our rooms. Now THAT was surreal) but I never got to see any corps from 13th on down that year, or at any time since.

Nowadays there is fortunately much more of an opportunity to hear, if not see many more corps even if it has to be after the fact.

Edited by Russellrks

I can totaly understand that Rusell, but did you ever listen to, and enjoy any of those corps. that you never got to see? Or was it hard enough just staying ahead of the comp? Just curious! I have started to get some outstanding response's to this question, which I guess means that some top twelver's did or do listen. If you have, do you have a favorite or just one that pleasantly surprised you when you listened? Thanks Russell for your response.

Brian

Edited by BariBrian

Thanks for the honorable mention of 1986 27th Lancers, that I agree with!

Baribrian:

When you say albums I think about all the old drum corps albums that I have in my basement. I wish I still had my turntable!!! I miss hearing the judges

starters pistol, and the two shots that came at the 11:30 point of everyones show.

Since I never got to be one of the top 25 when I marched, I have two favorites

that I first saw in Racine Wisconsin in 1973. They are Santa Clara Vanguard and

the Troopers. My all time seeing these corps I was in awe. (still am) I have other corps which I always cheered my butt of for but these two are deep in my heart,

for obvious reasons. ^OO^

Baribrian:

When you say albums I think about all the old drum corps albums that I have in my basement. I wish I still had my turntable!!! I miss hearing the judges

starters pistol, and the two shots that came at the 11:30 point of everyones show.

Since I never got to be one of the top 25 when I marched, I have two favorites

that I first saw in Racine Wisconsin in 1973. They are Santa Clara Vanguard and

the Troopers. My all time seeing these corps I was in awe. (still am) I have other corps which I always cheered my butt of for but these two are deep in my heart,

for obvious reasons.    ^OO^

I know what you mean about hearing the pistols. That use to be a compitition in it self to see if we were dragging the show or moving too fast. It added a suspense (however unimportant to some) that I really miss. And albums,,, wow all my old fleetwoods. I hundreds of albums. Back then just about every major show was recorded, which was great because you could hear the difference when someone had a bad show or a great show. I would think that would be another source of untapped revenue these days. There is a market for all of us "Have to get that" Types. :bleah: